Thursday, March 7, 2013

Printing Money

I spent this morning printing money. Well, actually, since that's illegal, I was printing coupons. But it might as well be money! All the Central Indiana grocery stores start their new ad on Thursday. Since the rest of the world usually starts their ad on Sunday, I have 4 days to read up on the deals and prep for Thursday morning. Gotta beat all the shelf clearers to the store, ya know!

                                                          some of my "money"

So first stop was Target. This was not an ad deal and their ad started on Sunday, however, this Sunday's paper had these coupons


So here's the deal. You can use both a manufacturer's coupon and a Target coupon on the same item. The manufacturer's coupon is for $3 off 3 laundry care items listed. The Target coupon is also for $3 off 3 laundry care items listed. On the list is Bounce fabric softener sheets. Target carries a 34-count box for $1.97. So here's the math: $1.97 X 3 = $5.91 - $3 - $3 = -$0.09

Yup, you "make" $0.09 for every 3 boxes. There is a limit of 4 of each coupon per transaction. I bought 5 newspapers this weekend so I had 5 of each coupon. Target was sold out the day the coupons came out but the coupons don't expire til the end of this month so I figured I'd just check to see if they got more in. There was a whole shelf-ful this morning. I got 12 boxes plus an Einstein's bagel. I threw the bagel in so I wouldn't have a negative subtotal. Sometimes the cash register freaks out when your balance is zero or a negative number. I have frozen and shut down cash registers at both Marsh and Meijer by having a zero balance so now I always make sure I owe something at the end!

                                            the bagel got eaten before the "photoshoot"!

I'll go back sometime later this month and get the other 3 "free" boxes. I'm stocked up on fabric softener sheets for a year now.

Next stop - Kroger. I did one transaction but I'm going to break it down in photos...


                                                   FREE Yopa Greek yogurt

The Yopa yogurt is on sale for $1 this week. There is a printable coupon for $0.50/1 here. You can print 2 per computer. Kroger will double 2 like coupons up to $0.50, so FREE Greek yogurt.

I have been buying Greek yogurt to eat after my long runs. You are supposed to eat 10 grams of protein in the first hour after a hard workout. This yogurt has 12 grams of protein. You are also supposed to replenish your carbohydrates in that first hour. I don't remember the number of carbs, but I have never met a carb I didn't like so I don't worry about the carbs! Alot of runners will drink chocolate milk. I'm not a huge fan of milk so I eat Greek yogurt.

                                        "better than FREE" Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust

The Pillsbury Artisan Pizza Crust is on sale this week for $1.25. There is a printable coupon for $1.50/1 here. You can print 2 per computer. Usually, if your coupon is more than the price of the item, it will be adjusted down to match the item price. Today, for some reason, both my coupons scanned for the full $1.50 so I "made" $0.50 by buying the pizza crust!

                                                       love, love, LOVE these!!

Larabar Uber bars are on sale for $1 each. There is a printable coupon at coupons.com for $0.75/2, so about $0.63 each. They are the BEST energy bar I've ever had. I used to think Clif Bars were great but these are the greatest. They are a "raw food" bar with lots of good stuff


The Cherry Cobbler is my favorite. Here are the ingredients: Almonds, Dried Cherries, Brown Rice Syrup, Pecans, Raisins, Cashews, Dates, Honey, Sea Salt. That's it! No strange ingredients you can't pronounce. If you haven't tried one of these, you have to try one!


Next up, Kroger is having a month long promotion where you get a free gallon of milk if you buy 4 participating breakfast items. I got 2 bags of Quaker Perfect Portions oatmeal, on sale for $2 each, and 2 boxes of General Mills Fiber One Protein bars, on sale for $2.50 each. I had 2 $0.50 off one Perfect Portions, and 2 $0.50 off one Fiber One Protein bars coupons, all from coupons.com, all of which doubled, so $5 for everything in the picture.

Ended up paying $8.25 for everything at Kroger.

Final stop - Meijer. Things were a little more complicated at Meijer. I had to separate my order into 5 separate transactions to make sure I could use all my coupons and get all the promotions I wanted as some of the coupons and promotions wouldn't work togerther in one transaction.

This is what I ended up with, all for $19.00.



There is a promotion where, if you buy 4 Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough items, you will get a catalina coupon for $3 off your next order (OYNO). Sometimes, if you USE an OYNO coupon for an OYNO promotion, the OYNO coupon you are suppose to get will not print. It definately will not print if you do the exact same offer again, but sometimes it won't print even if you use a different OYNO coupon.

Sometimes you just NEED refrigerated cookie dough. We were watching the IU-Ohio State basketball game the other night when my husband and kids decided they wanted ME to make chocolate chip cookies. Nooooo... not gonna happen. Not getting up and leaving THIS basketball game. Now, if we had had refrigerated cookie dough that night, everyone would have been happy.

There are also promotions this week for Maxwell House coffee where you get $2 off instantly when you buy 2 cans and Alexia frozen potatoes where you get $1 off instantly when you buy 2. I didn't know if this was one per order or not, so I chose to buy them in separate orders to be safe.

I don't need a bunch of fancy coffee but I HAVE to have my morning coffee. God forbid we EVER run out of coffee! The Maxwell House South Pacific blend is our preferred coffee.

Alexia frozen potatoes. Organic frozen potatoes. Red potatoes with portabella mushrooms. Sweet potato fries with sea salt or chilpotle seasoning. Yummm...

All the coupons I used at Meijer, I printed from coupons.com.

Transaction #1
4 Pillsbury cookie dough @ $2.00 each
$8.00
-$1 (0.50/2 coupon, doubled)
-$1 (0.50/2 coupon, doubled)
$6.00, got a $3 OYNO catalina coupon

Transaction #2
repeated #1

Transaction #3
4 Kraft Fresh Takes @ $2.00 each
2 Maxwell House coffee @ $3.00 each
$14.00
-$2.00 instant promo Maxwell House
-$1.00 Kraft Fresh Takes coupon
-$1.00 Kraft Fresh Takes coupon
-$1.00 Kraft Fresh Takes coupon
-$1.00 Kraft Fresh Takes coupon
-$3.00 OYNO catalina coupon from Bounty deal last week
$5.00

Transaction #4
2 Maxwell House coffee @ $3.00 each
2 Alexia frozen potatoes @ $3.00 each
$12.00
-$2.00 instant promo Maxwell House
-$1.00 instant promo Alexia
-$1.00 Alexia coupon
-$1.00 Alexia coupon
-$3.00 OYNO catalina coupon from Bounty deal last week
-$3.00 OYNO catalina coupon from #1
$1.00

Transaction #5
repeated #4 using the catalina coupon from #2

The only thing different I did in #5 from #4 is that I bought french fries in #5 rather than the sauted red potatoes in #4. I guess there was a catalina promo for the Alexia french fries because, out popped another $1.00 OYNO catalina!

I also got some other miscellaneous catalinas with my other transactions


$2 off meat and seafood, $1.00 off bakery, $2.00 off paper or cleaning products, $1.00 off deli, $1.00 off produce. There is no minimum purchase for these coupons. Woohoo! more fake money for my next shopping trip.

I am fortunate that I don't have to shop with small children. I always go grocery shopping ALONE. I always have a LIST. If I'm doing multiple transactions, I just do them, one after the other, at the Uscan. I never do mutliple transactions on the weekend or weeknights at 5pm.

I don't usually do this, but today I decided to count up all the "fake money" I used. Counting doubled values, I used $23.25 in printable coupons that I printed at home and $15 OYNO catalinas that printed at the register. $38.25 total. Now that's REAL MONEY!

Now, moving on with my day, I ate a Larabar Uber bar and washed it down with some milk for Lunch Part 1 (Part 2 was after the workout), then went to the fitness center to cross-train on the bike.

First 30 minutes: 9.00 miles, 96 rpm
10 minutes walk, stretch break; no one got on the bike so I went right back on
Second 30 minutes: 9.14 miles, 100 rpm.

Maybe I should eat an Uber bar before all my bike workouts!

1 comment:

  1. wow....just wow! I am dizzy! (ok more than usual!)

    ReplyDelete