Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Magazine Junkie

"Are you really going to bed at 7:30 (pm)?"

"Yes."

I am in bed. I am totally exhausted. It's day 3 of getting up at 4:30 am. I've been getting my butt kicked at work everyday and then running the kids to their activities at night. We had dinner at 9 pm last night. I had a bowl of cereal for dinner tonight and crawled into bed. I have a fantasy that maybe if I get some sleep tonight I can get up and go running tomorrow morning before work since I don't have to be there until 9 am. We'll see.

So I'm catching up on my emails and the rest of the cyberworld tonight before I go to bed. I went to one of my deal sites and saw an ad for this magazine


I missed the deal. The deal was 1 year (6 issues) for $4.50. I'm totally hooked on the idea of getting the magazine though. I've really wanted a garden for years. I've tried to have a garden for years. Somehow I can never have a really successful garden. The subcaption "sustainable city living" also captures my interest. I think I need this magazine. Or do I?

"Hello, my name is HaeWon, and I'm a magazine junkie."

I love magazines. The colorful slick pages. All the ideas. Inspirational stories. Recipes. The problem is, once I read them, I have a hard time letting them go... or.... they stack up because I haven't had time to read them yet but, someday...

I have tried very hard to cull my subscriptions. These are the magazines I'm getting this year


Crochet Today - I love all the ideas. The potential! I used to get Crochet World too but decided I only needed one of these. I'm even paying full rip retail renewal rate for this.

Runner's World - I've had a subscription on and off for as long as I've been running on and off. Usually I'll get it for a couple years, then take a break. I actually had canceled for this year but then found a deal where it was $5.99 for the year and re-subscribed.

DanceSpirit - I got this for my kids but I think I look at it more than they do. I used to be a dancer and I still do some choreography. I like to know what's going on in the dance world. I got this subscription for $5 a year through a coupon and ebates deal.

Backpacker - I have gotten this on and off through the years. I like to camp and do outdoorsy stuff. This is actually a complimentary subsciption that the people at Sierra Trading Post sent me. I think that means I buy a lot of stuff from Sierra Trading. It's actually a genius idea by their marketing department since you read about all the backpacking/camping stuff and then want to buy more gear!

I have magazines from years ago that I still keep. I might need them for ideas.

                                            Memory Makers magazines 2000 - 2003
                                           (I still look at them for scrapbooking ideas)


I used to get Food Network Magazine. I keep the old issues in a filing cabinet so I can go back and look at the recipes. I also keep my Crochet Today magazines here.

Some magazines I used to get, I actually throw away (gasp!) I've gotten All You, Better Homes and Gardens, Outside, and several others. Most of these I got for free and got them for the coupons. Outside I have gotten for years because I love the ideas for adventure and wanderlust.... and so I digress.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I have the time to read another magazine. The cheapest online price I can find now is $15.00 a year but if I get it at magazines.com through the ebates portal, I will get 40% back through ebates, so my real cost is $9. Plus, it's not so much the cost but do I really need another magazine?

What magazines do you get?
How many magazines do you get?
Do you keep your old magazines?
Should I get this magazine?

GOOD NIGHT!

1 comment:

  1. you and me are so alike it's funny. I receive waaaaayyy too many magazines (I feel like I am killing trees every month!) I get Food Network, Saveur, Rachael Ray (I don't really like it but it's a gift from my father in law and it makes him happy to send it to me!) Food & Wine, Whole Living (my fave but now discontinued)...I don't keep them all anymore just the recipes I want and then recycle at the gym for someone else to enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete