Thursday, March 28, 2013

Intervals - Week 6

I came to a realization this morning. My new shoes are REALLY PINK!
Like bright hot PINK. When I look at my shoes, they look like this


So at the store, they looked mostly gray to me with some pink accents. But, I got down to stretch today and realized they looked more like this




Yup, they're pretty pink. Oh well, not realizing the true color of things must run in the family. My husband once bought an SUV, a Jeep Cherokee, at night and thought he was buying a black vehicle. It was his car and I hate car shopping so he bought it by himself. I saw it the next morning and asked him why he bought a purple car. Yup, it was dark purple.

I decided to try out my new shoes today running those dreaded intervals on the track. I missed week 4 and 5 of intervals due to my work schedule and just not feeling up to it. I am tempted to just chuck this training program and go running like I usually do but decided I would try to stick it out as best I could. It's that age old problem I have - I want to run faster but I don't LIKE to practice running faster...but, I like the feeling AFTER I have run fast.

So here's the workout. One mile warm up. Six 800m repeats with 90 seconds rest in between - except I had a GI emergency after interval #3 and had to take a bathroom break. Somehow the added rest with the bathroom break didn't help my times!

1. 4:03
2. 3:59
3. 4:05
4. 4:09
5. 4:04
6. 4:01

One mile warm down. 5 miles total. I was like drop-over-tired, absolutely-nothing-left doing that sixth interval. I was sure it was going to be my slowest one so I was pleasantly surprised. It also made me feel better seeing that my times have improved since the last time I did this same workout on 3/6/13.

I am still nervous about trying to maintain a sub-9 minute pace for my upoming half. I think I need more tempo runs out on the road. I am hoping the weather will be agreeable once we return from Spring Break. As far as next week's training, I'm just going to see what I can squeeze in while we are on vacation.

Do you exercise when you are on vacation?

2 comments:

  1. OMG I just busted out laughing, first off I must really be sleepy because I thought you meant you had to "perform" a GI emergency (as if you were at work) I thought what the heck on the track? Then I realized YOU had it! OH MY...I crack myself up! I also hope to run plenty in Florida, then again I am not training for anything other than wearing a bikini so there's my motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you shoes are pretty cute, pink and all! :)

    ReplyDelete