Monday, June 17, 2019

Accountability Days 25 - 27: Storms and Anxiety

Day 25.

My colleague that came in to relieve me at 7am said, "It's a good sleep day today."
It was pouring rain when I left the hospital. It was still raining when I woke up at 1 pm. There were 8 miles on the training schedule today.

There was a brief break in the weather mid-afternoon but I had some errands to run. I went to print out a gift card from my email and discovered my email had been hacked. Luckily I was able to do a password recovery and got back in... only to find that the hacker had taken the gift card. I had a sick feeling like I'd been violated but felt lucky I had gotten back into my email and everything else seemed OK. I deleted a couple emails, spent some more time online, then left for the store. I was leaving the grocery store parking lot when it started sprinkling rain again. No biggie I thought. I was still tired. My plan was to eat an early dinner and lay down until 7 pm. I'd go for an evening run after that since the sun has not been setting until 9 pm.

At 6:45 pm I woke up to tornado sirens that just WOULD. NOT. STOP.
OK, I suppose this might be serious. I turned on the TV as the skies opened up again.
There was thunder and lightening and a tornado touched down about 40 miles south of my house.
No run today!

Day 26.
Today was supposed to be a rest day on my training schedule but since I didn't run yesterday I decided to do the run today. I woke to sunshine but didn't have time to get a run in before heading out with my family for some planned Father's Day activities. We got back home late in the afternoon and I planned to do the 8 miles then... except, I decided to check my email first.

I was locked out AGAIN! This time though, I was unable to do a password recovery and the HELP page kept redirecting me to the CONTACT US page. My heart was beating out of my chest by now. Whoever was doing this had gotten back into my email after I'd changed the password and now I was locked out. My mind started racing about all the potential sensitive information that was saved in my email. I only have one active email address. EVERYTHING was in there!

Meanwhile... storm clouds started amassing outside. I could hear rumbles. I needed to run NOW of I was going to get a run in. Out the door I went, ready to have a full on anxiety attack. The wind started picking up and there were more rumbles and darkness. 8 miles was NOT happening today. I ran 3 and ducked back in the house before the rain started.

I spent the rest of the evening changing my email address on every account I could think of. Customer service for my email service was not responding. I was totally frustrated, freaked out, and anxious.

Day 27.
Needless to say, I slept like crap. I got up at 7:15 am to drive G to a dance class downtown. I still felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. I work overnight again tonight. I should be sleeping. I tried to sleep. I couldn't. I felt like crap. I got dressed and went to the fitness center to try and get the 8 mile run in. I ran 3 and I was done. I couldn't concentrate. All I could think about was all the other online accounts I needed to secure. The thing about getting locked out of your email is this... most online accounts will have you log on with your email and password. If you can't remember your password you click a link to have the website send you a password reset link TO YOUR EMAIL. If someone is in your email this means they can get into a large number of ALL your other accounts by resetting your password. While trying to secure my other accounts I discovered that this hacker had already accessed three of my online rewards accounts this way and cashed in all my points for electronic gift cards that were then emailed to my email while they were in the account. See why I'm freaked out? First thing I did was secure all my financials and travel accounts but I think I still have dozens and dozens of other accounts out there...

No comments:

Post a Comment