Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Accountability Days 19-21: Training Peaks

Day 19. This was the first day of my new "training schedule" my coach put together for me. It started out easy enough. 3 shake out miles.

So... I spent most of the morning ripping my house apart trying to find the heart rate strap for my Garmin. One of the things I most dislike about training is having to wear a watch and actually timing and logging all your runs. I can't stand wearing things that strap or hang off me. Seriously. I'm a no jewelry kind of girl. Only thing worse is a heart rate strap that cinches around your chest when you run... and I always end up cinching the damn thing tight because, otherwise, I feel like it's slowing sliding down my torso and worry it will end up around my waist...

Anyway, I couldn't find the stupid thing. I finally decided I'd tell Coach that I couldn't find it and look into getting another one after this run was done. Then, as I was changing into my running clothes, I spotted a bin in my closet that I keep my running gloves and hats in, and I found it there.

Once I got finished running I had to download my Garmin info into the Garmin Connect website either via my laptop or phone. It's well established by now that I'm technologically challenged. I downloaded the Garmin app onto my iPhone. That's as far as THAT went. I couldn't figure out how to get my watch to talk to my phone.

NEXT, I tried to install Garmin Express onto my laptop. Well, since it's well known that I'm technologically challenged... hubs is the "administrator" for my laptop. I needed an administrator PIN to allow installation... and he wasn't home. Ugh!!!

Hubs finally came home and got Garmin Express installed. I got my run downloaded, then it was off to try and figure out how to upload my Garmin info to the Training Peaks website so my coach could see it. The internet was able to walk me through that one. YAY!

Once all the information was in Training Peaks I was actually a bit fascinated by all the information my watch had captured. Don't laugh. I know. Technology.


I didn't look at my watch until I was finished running because I wanted to get a good baseline on what an easy run felt like. I ran my miles in 10:52, 11:08, and 11:12. I was happy with that.

Day 19 summary - a little over 33 minutes to do my run and all freakin' day to get it documented!

Day 20. Training plan today said "day off or flex day", as I had had the option of running either yesterday or today. We actually got back from Pennsylvania a day early on account of my husband rushing back to get the dog. Anyway, I felt fine from yesterday's run so I decided to do another easy run.


Today felt just like yesterday but apparently my body was happier as my heart rate was significantly slower. Splits were about the same: 10:58, 10:47, 10:57.

Day 21. Plan today was a one mile warm up, 3 miles at a "moderate" pace, then a one mile cool down. So... based on the previous two days, I figured 11:00 warm up mile, 3 miles at 10:00 pace, then a one mile cool down at 11:00. Sounds perfectly reasonable right?

Hah! This is the Expectation vs. Reality Graph...

That big red bar is my heart rate                                                                                   

I looked at my watch when it beeped after a mile and knew I was f-*#'d.
10:16. Crap. It really did feel like my easy miles from my previous two days but now I had to show some type of increase in speed and I had just run my warm up pretty close to where I had intended to run my workout.

I sped up to what felt like a moderate pace, peeked at my watch after about a quarter mile, then cursed again. Watch was showing 8:50 pace. I knew for a FACT that that was NOT a sustainable pace at this point in my "training." I tried tried TRIED to slow down to 9:30 pace. Mile 2, 9:12.

Mile 3 was spent trying to maintain anything that seemed like a consistent pace. Effort was going up and times were climbing. 9:38.

Mile 4. This mile has what I feel like is the biggest "hill" of all my rollers (there are no flat roads by my house). I felt like death running up that hill then ran HARD until I hit the 4 mile mark. That big green dip on the chart is where I had to walk up the next little roller after I hit the 4 mile mark. Mile 4, 9:33.

Mile 5 was just struggling to get back home. 12:32. I felt like crap and NOTHING went as expected. Apparently I have lost my sense of pace.

I'm curious to see how I will feel tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment