Monday, March 3, 2014

The Bestest Fluffiest Pancakes


ISTEP is coming up and the kids had all kids of interesting factoids to share with me...

*Make sure your child gets at least 8 hours of sleep
*Let your child wake up 5 minutes later than usual in a warm soothing environment
*Feed your child a good breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and eggs

Seriously? I didn't get any emails from the school with this advice. Did you?

If I get to have 8 hours of sleep, wake up in a warm soothing environment, and eat pancakes, sausage, and eggs for breakfast, heck I'll go take the ISTEP for them!

This conversation led to me making pancakes for breakfast. Here's my favorite recipe...

Bestest Fluffiest Pancakes
link to original recipe HERE
 
3/4 cup milk
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
blueberries if desired
 
Stir vinegar into milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes to sour milk. The vinegar will activate the baking soda and make bubbles in your batter. Once your batter hits the skillet, the heat will make the bubbles expand and fluff up the pancakes. You can get the same result by using buttermilk.
 
Stir together dry ingredients. Mix in your soured milk, egg, and melted butter.
 
Fold in your blueberries or other desired add ins at this point.
 
I used 3 oz of frozen blueberries. My frozen blueberry stash from last summer is gone but all the grocery stores had these Dole frozen blueberries on closeout. I had coupons so I got them for about 0.50 a package and the individual containers just so happened to be 3 oz each.
 
 
 
Heat your skillet or griddle and spray with a little oil. Spoon batter onto skillet. This batter is super thick so you will need to spread it out a little with the back of your spoon.
 
 
 
Once you start seeing bubbles in the batter and the edges look dry, flip them over. This may take a little longer than usual as the batter is thick. If you turn them too soon you will end up with doughy pancakes.
 
Once you flip them, you will literally see the pancakes rise in front of your eyes. Cook for about 1-2 more minutes then enjoy!
 
Makes about 8 pancakes.
 
YUM!!




1 comment:

  1. They look great! I will share this on my Facebook wall of : Isabelle at home. Since today is national pancake day (I was told....I am never on top of these things!) Speaking of Facebook, I see you finally caved in and joint the ever so addicting social network! Hahaha....it's a total time killer.
    Anyway take yourself over to my page and "like" it :)
    I'll share your recipe!

    ReplyDelete