Friday, March 28, 2014

Don't Be Stupid

"Don't be stupid."

That was my mantra for my pace run today. I think I've had more bad pace runs than good ones lately. Today was my last "long" pace run before my marathon. 10 miles. After my disaster 2 weeks ago where I blew up after 5 miles, I really needed a good run.

Sometimes I think I'm just kidding myself thinking I can run a Boston qualifying time. There are days that I think, when push comes to shove, I can pull it off. Other days I think I don't have the endurance to keep pace for 26.2 miles and I wonder, when will I fall apart... 16 miles? 18 miles? 20 miles? 22?

Today's goal was 10 miles at 8:45 pace. 8:50 pace if needed. I just wanted a consistent run.

"Don't be stupid." None of this blasting off for a couple miles and then blowing up.

I was suppose to do this yesterday. However, it was rainy and windy yesterday so I ran 5 miles instead and moved my schedule around. I'm glad I didn't attempt this yesterday cause I ended up getting hit in the thigh by an errant baseball halfway into my run, and then it poured rain on me.

I didn't get around to running today until 5 pm. The kids are on Spring Break and I was having too much fun running around with them and spending hundreds of dollars at Target. Finally, I got myself out the door to play in 5 o'clock traffic.

"Last hard thing I have to do this week." I find myself saying that a lot to myself lately.

"Don't be stupid."

Mile 1 - 8:26   Don't be stupid
Mile 2 - 8:39   Better
Mile 3 - 8:40
Mile 4 - 8:37
Mile 5 - 8:35

Mile 4 is mostly uphill. Mile 5 finishes on an uphill and then I get to turn around and do it all over again. I've been working on striding up all my hills. I think making myself run on the roads for the last 2 weeks is paying off.

Mile 6 - 8:29   Don't be stupid
Mile 7 - 8:35
Mile 8 - 8:34
Mile 9 - 8:27

So I'm still feeling pretty good and I realize I'm going to make my goal. In fact, I feel great! I'm thinking about adding on another 3.1 miles to see what kind of half marathon time I can run today.

"Don't be stupid." Today is not the day to be trying for an unofficial half-marathon PR. Just run what's on the schedule. I have 20 miles tomorrow. Just finish strong today.

Mile 10 - 8:15

 
 
DONE!! I really needed this today. I think so much of distance running is mental. Today I had my head in the game. I think if I can just work on my mental endurance, I CAN DO THIS!
 
That's where my head is today. I've got my last 20 miler tomorrow. I'm going to do 4 more loops of rolly hills and enjoy myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment