Monday, January 6, 2014

Minestrone

Our family spent the day riding out the Polar Vortex and Winter Storm Ion at home today...

I started the day by making a big pot of minestrone and baking a loaf of country bread. This is my favorite soup recipe. It's a hearty stick-to-your bones kinda soup that's even better the next day.

MINESTRONE
1 diced onion
2 tbsp. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tsp black pepper
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
28 oz can peeled crushed tomatoes
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
9 oz frozen spinach
15 oz can cannellini beans
1 cup pasta (I prefer ditali)
 
Heat oil in large soup pot.
Add onions and cook until translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
Add garlic, celery, and carrots and cook for about 5 more minutes until vegetables are soft.
Add zucchini, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add broth, all tomatoes and spinach and bring to a boil.
Add beans and pasta and cook for about 15 more minutes until pasta is tender.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
What I LOVE about this soup is that it gets thicker and heartier after it sits awhile This is what I'm bringing to work for lunch tomorrow.
 
See how the pasta thickens it up! You can almost eat it with a fork.
 
Hope everyone is staying warm and safe! I caught our outside cat and put her in the basement. She is pretty PO'd at me right now but I was afraid she was going to freeze to death with the wind chill going to -40 tonight. I don't know where she normally sleeps at night but I know I will sleep better tonight.
 
Our yard after 11 inches of snow

 
What's your favorite snow day meal?




No comments:

Post a Comment