Friday, January 10, 2014

Deals for the New Year

You can tell it's January. Everyone's on a diet and working out... or at least that's what all the manufacturers think. This past weekend's paper was loaded with 5 coupon inserts and a boatload of diet food deals. While I'm not on a diet, I am a Diet Coke addict. Plus, I'm always looking for a deal on protein drinks to drink after my long runs since I simply cannot eat in that "golden hour" after my run. So this is what I found...

CVS DEALS
 
Slimfast 4 pack protein meal shakes are on sale 2/$10.00
If you spend $15, you get $5 in  Extra Care Bucks
If you spend $30, you get $12 in Extra Care Bucks
 
Each shake has 190 calories, 10 grams of protein, and 25 grams of carbs.
 
The recommended protein intake after a workout is generally between 10-20 grams of protein, plus carbs in a 1:4 ratio. So if you take in 10 grams of protein, take in 40 grams of carbs. I don't pay that much attention to the carbs since I've never met a carb I didn't like. It's the protein I have problems with.
 
There were coupons in the Sunday paper for Slimfast, Buy a 4 pack protein meal shake, get another Slimfast product of equal or lesser value for free. There is a limit of 2 identical coupons per transaction for this coupon. I buy 4 weekend papers every week so I had 4 of them. There are also printables at www.redplum.com for $5 off 2 Slimfast products. You can print this coupon twice per computer.
 
I decided to do the spend $30, get $12 deal. I also had $6 in Extra Care Bucks to use. I used 3 coupons from the paper in two transactions. I ended up paying $9 out of pocket, got 6 4-packs of Slimfast, and got a $12 Extra Care Buck.
 
If you do this with just the available coupons, you will pay $15 out of pocket, get 6 4-packs of Slimfast, and end up with a $12 Extra Care Buck to use on your next purchase.
 
Next up was the Diet Coke deal. My "buy" price on Diet Coke is $2.50 a 12-pack. CVS had 12 packs 3 for $10. However, if you spent $30, you get a $10 Extra Care Buck. You can only buy 6 12-packs at a time so again I had to due multiple transactions. I also had 3 free 12-pack coupons that I got from www.mycokerewards.com from their Wednesday deal last month and for some reason the register would only let me use one free coupon per transaction.
 
So...
 
Transaction #1
3 12-packs    10.00
free coupon   -3.33
                       6.67 + 0.47 tax = 7.14
 
Transaction #2
1 12-pack   3.34 - free coupon + tax = 0.23
 
Transaction #3
5 12-packs             16.67
free coupon             -3.33
Extra Care Buck   -12.00
                                 1.34 + 1.17 tax = 2.51
 
Total for 9 12-packs of Diet Coke: 9.88, plus I got another $10 Extra Care Buck to use in the future.
 
If you did this without the free coupons and just rolled the Extra Care Buck, it would be $18 + tax for 9 12-packs and you would get the $10 Extra Care Buck - so still a pretty good deal.
 
Paid $18.88 total; got a $10 Extra Care Buck (ECB) for future use
 
Price with just available coupons would be $33+tax and you'd have a $10 ECB.
Still a pretty good deal.
 
 
 
 
WALGREENS DEAL
 
I used the $5 off 2 Slimfast printables at Walgreens. They have Slimfast snack bar boxes on sale for $2.99. So 0.98 + tax for 2 boxes!
 

 
 
There are 6 bars to a box. Each bar is 100 calories. The Peanut Butter Crunch time tastes just like a Butterfinger. I haven't tried the Chocolate Mint yet. I just got them for a cheap snack. They were pretty much free for me cause I also used all the Balance Rewards points that I had racked up the week before Thanksgiving to pay for the balance.
 
Anyone else find some good deals this week?
 
 


1 comment:

  1. well Kohls is giving away Kohls $ that's pretty good in my book. :)

    ReplyDelete