Sunday, December 22, 2013

New Shoes

 

Meet my new running shoes!
 
 
They are the Brooks Ghost 5 - exactly like my old running shoes, just in a more palatable color. I had been looking for these shoes for the last several weeks. Every year the big shoe companies will come out with the new updated versions of their shoes. The Ghost 6 is now on the shelf, meaning the 5's are on closeout everywhere. I don't need the latest shoe model every year. I like to stick with what works!
 
My biggest problem was finding the shoes in my size - an 8. I searched Zappos, eBay, Sierra Trading, REI, etc. and just could NOT find my size. Then fate struck. I was skimming my bazillion emails and found a sale flyer from DSW. I am on their list because I buy shoes for my daughter there. I never even thought to look for running shoes there but for some reason I decided to search these shoes and, voila, there they were - in stock in the Bloomington store! I stopped by after work yesterday and picked them up. Used a $10 reward certificate to drop the price to $79.99 (they were even less expensive at REI but REI didn't have my size) then used my VISA giftcard for the balance. Merry Christmas to me! (The Ghost 6 retails for $110)
 
So I am really bad about replacing my shoes. I know I should do it more often. Runner's World says to replace them every 300 - 500 miles. Competitor.com recommends every 400-600 miles. Since this is the first year I've actually tracked my miles and knew what day I bought my shoes I decided to do the math...
 
My current shoes have 830 miles on them. Ooops.
 


Pink is old, blue is new
 
 
So I knew the treads were a little worn when I could barely stay upright during my last 5K but I had no idea!
 
While I was at it, I also totaled up my miles for the year so far. 987 miles. Amazing how far you can go one step at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment