Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Todd's Desserts


Several years ago a man called me out of the blue in early December to tell me he was a fan of my baking (from the fair) and wanted to know if he could buy some baked goods from me for his office Christmas party. The first thing that crossed my mind was "stalker!", then I laughed and said "sure."

Every year since then he calls me up and I make dessert. This year I made German chocolate cake, lemon pound cake, and blueberry pie. I never know how much to charge him... however, since he wants a blueberry pie in December and blueberries are $3.99 a pint in December, I came up with $15 an item - $45 total. My husband thinks I'm way underpriced. Thoughts?

So yesterday was Day 1 of my new training cycle. Of course I also had to get up at 4:30 am to go to work. Then I didn't get out til 4 pm. It was the day from hell and I didn't even get to eat lunch. I was ready to chew my arm off by the time I got home at 5. Then I had to make dinner. By the time we finally ate at 6, I felt sick since I hadn't eaten since 5 am. It took another 2 hours for my stomach to settle down. I finally got to the fitness center at 8 pm and got my 5 miles in. Went home, showered, cleaned the kitchen, then made my cakes for the German chocolate cake. I went to bed at 1 am.

Today I got up at 6 and made my blueberry pie. Got the kids off to school and made the lemon pound cake. Then went to hot yoga at 10:30. I ended up being the only one there so I essentially got a private lesson and Heather (the instructor/owner) answered all my bazillion questions on where to put my arm-leg-weight-etc. SO glad I went cause I really wanted to just go back to sleep for a couple hours!

I made the cake filling and frosting once I got home. Then the kids came home and tried to eat all my filling... Finally got the cake all put together, then went back out to the fitness center to get my 3 miles in.

Todd came and picked up his desserts tonight. Day 2 of training is done and I'm still on track!

1 comment:

  1. great looking cakes and pie! I have no clue about the $ either. I've had people ask me to make them stuff before too and I never know how much to charge. I have made my Strawberry cake about 2 or 3 times now (doubling the recipe once for a big party) and the people gave me $15. for the cake...it seemed a bit low but who knows...
    Good job on the training. Wow running 5 at pm after such a long day is quite remarkable!

    ReplyDelete