Thursday, December 19, 2013

Keepin' the Pace

Day 4 of training. My pace run.

I think one of my problems with my last training cycle was that I just didn't do my pace runs properly. I either blew them off, getting the mileage in but not really working the pace, or I wimped out and ran pace for only part of my run. Sure, I did the 5Ks as my speed work, however I think there is probably a big difference in running 3 miles fast and 15 miles tempo when you're training for 26.2.

So today was my dreaded day. I was going to push myself. I had a 5 mile pace run on the schedule. Originally, I was going to run indoors. I thought about doing the 1:15 per lap thing around the track again but didn't think I could maintain an 8:45 pace for 5 miles. I thought about trying it on the dreadmill. You are only allowed 30 minutes at a time on the dreadmill - however the fitness center is pretty empty around noon so I thought about going then and just fudging my start time on the sign up sheet and starting 15 minutes earlier than the written start time.

As fate would have it, it warmed up to above 40 today. I finally talked myself into running it outside - that way I could use my Garmin and try to run a 9 minute pace. There are hills outdoors. I told myself Louisville had hills so I needed to put on my big girl panties and run fast on the hills. I could lollygag all I wanted to tomorrow on my long run but I needed to push myself today.

So... running tights on, thermal shirt on, Garmin on, it was cloudy outside... cursed Garmin wouldn't pick up a satellite for about 5 minutes. I stood at the end of my driveway starting to freeze waiting for it to lock onto a satellite. Good thing I have a long driveway, otherwise I would have gone back inside to get my keys and drive to the fitness center!

FINALLY got a satellite and took off running. Goal was 9 minute pace.

Mile 1 - 8:30
...my brain is screaming at me to slow the freak down!
Mile 2 - 8:36
...now I can't decide if I should just go with it
Mile 3 - 8:44
Mile 4 - 8:56
...I almost got run over by a car backing out of a driveway and ended up in the field across the street, plus this is where I go uphill
Mile 5 - 8:53
...I just tried to hold it together and keep it under 9

YES!!!
 

Definitely not an even pace but I did prove to myself that I didn't lose a whole lotta speed during my 6 weeks off. It's actually kind of a scary starting point.

So would you rather have a white Christmas or 40 degree weather?

1 comment:

  1. It's allowed to snow ON Christmas, but that's it. No lingering around into the new year and definitely NOT a white Presidents' Day. ;)

    Kick @$$ pace! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete