Thursday, December 12, 2013

Information Overload

I had 738 emails in my inbox this morning...

Not all new emails. There are about a 100 or so that just live there at all times waiting for me to "file." Nonetheless, I had a boatload of emails to screen through. I send all my emails to one address hence I don't have a "junk" email address. I think I am getting at least 2 emails a day from every retailer I ever bought something from (tis the season ya know!) The OCD part of me wants to open every one before trashing it - not that I really do! Anyway, you get the picture.

Plan was to run 5 miles in the morning and do hot yoga in the evening. Problem was, I had a bunch of other stuff to do - like play with my email and buy Christmas gifts - plus I had another crappy night of not being able to sleep on account of my leg trying to kill me - so running kept getting pushed further and further down the list.

I should have just hit the fitness center as soon as my younger kid got on the bus. Instead, I fell asleep on the couch til, oh, 10 am. Doh!

Long story short, my heart just wasn't into it this afternoon. I even made it all the way to the fitness center after running all my errands when I realized I wouldn't have time to run 5 miles at a relaxed pace and get a good stretch in if I wanted to make dinner in time for my oldest kid to eat before taking her to dance. Originally, I had planned to go to yoga while she danced. Her dance class time got all switched around tonight too so I was going to have to drop her off earlier than usual. Anyway, I decided I'd get my run in tonight instead of yoga.

To be honest, yoga is stressing me out too. I know. Yoga. It's suppose to be calm and meditative. Well, I was absent the day they taught "right" and "left." I am constantly looking around trying to figure out which arm and which leg go where. Plus then you have to coordinate your inhales and exhales with your body movements so I'm trying to remember what kind of breath I'm suppose to be taking with what arm or leg thing I'm doing. My other problem is that holding the poses is making my legs spasm like crazy and I've had to stop several times to just rub my leg out. I'm always sore the day after I do it so I think I'm getting a work out in but it's not all that relaxing!

Anyway, I got my husband to pick up my daughter from dance and FINALLY made it to the fitness center AGAIN. Well, by then it was 6:30 pm. It's pitch black outside and it feels like 10 pm. I'm hungry and thinking I'd rather go back home, eat the chili that's sitting in my crockpot, and cozy up in a blanket. Ugh. Gotta run. "I WANT to do this, remember?" I tell myself.

I hit the track. I float along and start to relax. "This isn't too bad." My mind wanders to Saturday. Last race of the year. I have no idea what kind of time I'll run. Plus, I haven't run outdoors since my marathon. My car said it was 5 degrees this morning...

I have never listened to music or worn anything in my ears when I run. I think it goes back to the fact that I grew up running in the street and was always told to not put anything in your ears so you can listen for traffic and be aware of your surroundings. I have always just listened to my breaths and let my mind wander when not fixated on my time. When I run indoors, it's 7 laps to a mile. I keep track mile by mile... so I count "one" in my head through the first lap, then two, three, four, five, six and seven, then it's back to one. It's actually very meditative to do this - just repeating the number in your head. Plus I people watch all the other people - on the track, in the weight room, on the gym floor below me - and the miles just roll by.

By the time I got my 5 miles in, my outlook on things was much better. I felt like I accomplished something. I got my brain emptied out and relaxed. All the noise of the day was gone. I got a good stretch in. I got to see some dude do a handstand against the wall and proceed to do "pushups" upside down, then do sprint laps wearing a weight vest. "What's he training for?"

All in all, I always feel better after I get my run in. It's just a matter of getting it in! I know in my heart that I really should just knock it out first thing in the morning. I always have a better more productive day when I do. Oh why oh why can't I love mornings?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment