Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Sports Nutrition

I have got to start eating better. I totally bonked on my run tonight. I was suppose to run 7 miles at 9 minute pace. I think my first mistake was that I enjoyed one last day of sleeping in this morning before school starts for the kids tomorrow and didn't get my run in in the morning. After that, it was go go go with the kids all day long. Both kids got their nails done, hair cut, one got her ears pierced (again), and the other HAD to have new make up for school tomorrow.

I had a piece of cinnamon apple bread and coffee at 10 am and two loaded grillers from Taco Bell at 2:30 pm. I ran through the grocery store then we all came home at 4:30 pm. By then, I was wiped out and had to rest for an hour before taking my older daughter back to the school to pick up cheer uniforms. The plan was to get her uniforms then go for my run. Well, it took OVER TWO FREAKIN' HOURS for her to get her uniforms. I sat in my car the whole time, totally fuming.

I thought about blowing off my run but I don't have another day to do it this week so I went out after 8 pm to try and do it. So...

Mile 1 - 8:51
Mile 2 - 8:54
Mile 3 - 8:51
Mile 4 - 8:55

then I totally bonked...

Mile 5 - 10:31
Mile 6 - 10:18
Mile 7 - 9:58

average pace - 9:28

I am suppose to eat 10 grams of protein and 40 grams of carbs within an hour of exercising when I exercise over an hour. It is SO hard for me to choke down the protein. I usually eat a container of Greek yogurt. Last week, when I did my 14 miler at 10 pm, the only thing I could find in the house was a grilled chicken breast. That was not fun. Tonight, it took me half an hour to get the yogurt down.

I also am positive I am bonking on my paced runs because I'm not fueling correctly before I run. Last night, I had to attend a mandatory fall athlete-parent meeting at the high school. At the end of the program, they had a woman named Dawn Weatherwax who is a sports nutritionist give a talk about sports nutrition. I think I got more out of her talk than anything else. I am seriously thinking about contacting her for a nutrition plan.

In any case, I have GOT to eat better... and sleep more!

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, getting the right about of protein and "what not" is my biggest weakness. I can drink water all day long but for some reason right after I run I can't drink a sip. I can't believe you waited 2 hrs at school when you live 2 minutes away! LOL I would have been furious as well. Back to school this morning and for the first time in years the right bus actually stopped and picked up the girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we'd had known it would take that long, all the parents would have gone home. Instead, we all ended up hanging out in the parking lot wondering what the heck was going on. We could SEE the girls inside the doors but no one told us what was going on. They all missed the frozen yogurt party and everything. I was NOT happy.

      Delete