Saturday, July 20, 2013

Johnson County Fair Week in Review

Today was the last day of the Johnson County Fair. I had to work all day so my daughter and I actually went yesterday to look at everything one last time. I like to spend time looking at all the exhibits to get ideas on all the stuff I'd like to learn how to do... someday.

I'll have to admit I spent a lot less time out at the fairgrounds this year than in years past. It might be that the kids are just getting older and are not as interested or I might just be too busy this year. So this is how the judging went...  I compete Open Class which means they give out one first, one second, and one third place award for each category so not everyone gets a ribbon like the 4H kids do. The judges also have the option of not awarding a first if your item is not up to snuff so you can't win simply by default if you have the only item in the category. This suits my Type A competitive personality to a T. I don't like "contests" where everybody wins a prize because it's really not a contest then. If everybody wins, you don't really "win" unless you get an overall award. Just my 2 cents. The other thing to remember is that this is a subjective contest. It's a judges opinion based on certain criteria. The more you compete, the more you understand what the judges "like" which may differ from your own tastes. OK, here's what I got:

Smith Island Cake - 2nd, I don't have the judging sheet yet but I'm sure they felt there wasn't
                                         enough "cake"
Looked pretty though!

Brownies - 2nd
Drop cookies: Pineapple Iced Coconut Macadamia - 1st
Fancy cookies: Pistachio Thins - 1st
Chocolate chip cookies - 1st
Molasses cookies - 1st
Other quick bread: Cheddar Bacon Chive Scones - 1st, Quick Breads Class Champion
Fancy dinner rolls: Loaded Potato Rolls - 1st, Yeast Breads Class Champion
Other yeast bread: Cinnamon Apple Pull-Apart Bread - 1st
Fruit pie: Blueberry Crumble - 2nd
Peanut Butter Fudge - 3rd
Caramel Corn - 1st
Microwave candy: 2-Layer Fudge - 1st
Honey Cookies: Honey Pecan Bars - 1st, Honey Class Champion
Honey yeast bread: Honey Oatmeal Bread - 1st
Heart Healthy cookies: Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast cookies - 2nd
Box Mix cookies: Spicy Hot Chocolate cookies - no placing

So, 18 baked items, 12 First places with 3 Class Champions, 4 Seconds, and 1 Third. There are 12 different Classes of baked goods and I had items spread across 10 of them. Each Class has one Champion selected from all the First place category winners. The Reserve Grand Champion and Grand Champion are then selected from the 12 Class Champions. Two years ago was my best showing ever when I won 6 Class Champions and the Grand Champion.

I also showed 2 photos and got a First in the Holiday Themes category and a Second in the Portrait category. I'm showing these same photos at the State Fair. I also showed a scrapbook that won First in the scrapbook category.

I get to prep all over again next week for the State Fair. My week should be a little more sane though because the due dates for my baked items are spread out more. I "only" have to bring 9 items to the Fair by next Saturday - as opposed to the 18 I brought last weekend!

I'm going to try to post more of my fair recipes this coming week.

It finally rained today! I had to run outside last night because the fitness center closes early on Friday nights. I did 3 miles in the sweltering heat at 8:30 pm - and my legs were DEAD from the previous 2 days. I did another 6 at 8:45 tonight after work and it was a very pleasant 75 degrees outside.

Total miles this week: 31 - still on track! I SO did not feel like running tonight but I'm glad I did.


5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! I had no doubt that you'd come away with several first place finishes. My favorite cookies were the flat glazed ones that you brought over. I have no idea of it's name, but I need far more than 3!! Lol. I loved it so much, I'm even asking for the recipe...yep, might just make a batch of those little gems myself!
    I dread JC Fair week, simply because I know it'll be the hottest week all year...or just the beginning of several smoldering weeks to come. I didn't even go to the fair this year! I took L & a couple of her friends to Marengo Cave on Friday - aahhhh a cool 52 degrees underground - it was perfect! One more month of working outside, then I might hibernate in the AC until late fall. By then, you'll come up with the perfect pumpkin cookie & coax me out of hiding :-) Hint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the Pineapple Iced Coconut Macadamia. I'm reworking that recipe for a State Fair contest so you may be sampling some more!

      Delete
    2. Oh...don't mess with perfection!!! They were SO good. But I'll force myself to taste the new recipe, lol.

      Delete
  2. Great job! That is fantastic! I can't wait to hear about the State Fair! I wish I had your motivation to enter stuff in the fair. Every year I say I will do it and every year I manage to get zero in! I would also LOVE to taste test anything and everything....especially the cookies! And that cake looks amazing. I would love that recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have more cookies this weekend; some may be coming your way.

    ReplyDelete