Thursday, July 25, 2013

Just Not Feelin' It

I started baking for the State Fair today and I'm just not feelin' it...

Almost everything I'm baking, I've made before. These are suppose to be my tried and true favorites and, for some reason, nothing is turning out the way I want. Here was today's line up:

Caramel Corn - I think the caramel tastes overcooked
Coconut Pistachio Biscotti - This one may be OK
Honey Pecan Bars - Not gooey enough
Pecan Pie Cookies - I just made this up tonight. It's a variation of the Honey Pecan Bars.
                                 I think the base is too thick.
Decorated Cookies - I've got the cookie dough chilling and I can't find my cookie cutters!
                                  I bought cookie cutters from the King Arthur Flour catalog just for this
                                 purpose and now I can't find them! I've ripped my kitchen apart...
Dairy Cookie - I still need a recipe. The one I thought I was going to use tastes awful.

I've called it a night and will look at everything again tomorrow. Tomorrow's line up:

Loaded Potato Rolls - They won King Arthur Flour yeast roll contest last year, was 2nd in the
                                   "Other shaped dinner rolls" category at the State Fair last year, and won
                                    yeast bread Class Champion at the County Fair this year.
Honey Oatmeal Bread - This has won 1st at the State Fair as well as 1st at the County Fair
                                       several times.
Cinnamon Apple Pull-Apart Bread - This was 1st at the County Fair in the "Other bread"
                                     category; I'm entering it in the Sugar'n Spice Bakeoff for the State
                                     Fair - it's a sweet bread contest.
Then I have to make my decorated cookies and my dairy cookie. The dairy cookie category is any cookie that has at least 2 dairy ingredients in it.

I'm hoping everything will go smoothly tomorrow as each bread takes about 3 hours to make, counting the rise times. If things are going OK, I may try to remake some of my stuff from today.

I am just VERY TIRED right now. My younger daughter is at a dance workshop again this week. This week, it's just from 9 am - noon. It's in Carmel. Since it's an hour drive each way, I'm just staying there while she dances. Today, I ran 3 miles on the Monon Trail then showered at my mom's house. My legs are DEAD again. I ran 14 miles last night - got done at 10 pm. I ran 7 the day before, squeezing it in between coming back from Carmel, taking the dog to the vet, and my older daughter's high school registration. I felt OK last night but my legs just felt like wood today. Tomorrow I'm planning to run 7 miles on the Monon Trail. Might as well get my run in while I wait on my daughter, besides, I might not get my run in otherwise!

OK, I think I'm actually going to go to bed before midnight tonight. Hope I'm feelin' it more tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Busy...still! I tried to look for a dairy cookie recipe in my pile of books and recipes but nothing. I wish I could have at least helped you with ONE thing! Ran outside yesterday and it was so nice and cool! Loved it! Hoping to do the same today before we head north for a Lacrosse tournament. Hopefully I can run at the hotel...maybe! Good luck with today's baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does powdered milk count? If so, how about these malted milk ball & popcorn cookies (malted milk & butter). I also saw a recipe for 'Milk & Butter Cookies", but I can't find it again. I'll email you the link to the popcorn cookies. It won't let me copy & paste here :(

    ReplyDelete