Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mushroom Risotto

Funny how the month changes and the weather suddenly changes with it. I am really enjoying this crisp turn in the weather. It also made me have a craving for some warm comfort food. I was trying to organize my cupboards and realized I had some Arborio rice. Perfect. Risotto it is!

I had just enough to make this!

The original recipe was from Simply Recipes, found here. I made some wee little adjustments (like why use 3/4 cup cream when I buy it in an 8 oz container?) Also, looks like the website updated the recipe in 2004. Mine is the pre-update recipe!

4 tablespoons butter
2 cups mushrooms
2/3 cup white wine (I use chardonnay)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup chopped onions
1 3/4 cup Arborio rice
7 cups chicken stock
Parmesan cheese
pepper to taste
green onions, chives, or parsley to top

You will need two saucepans. Use the smaller one first.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and sauté mushrooms for 5 minutes.


Add white wine and simmer until liquid is reduced in half.


Add heavy cream and simmer for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.


In your larger saucepan, melt the remaining butter with the olive oil and sauté the chopped onions until clear, about 3-5 minutes. Add rice and stir to coat.


Next, you are going to slowly add hot chicken stock, a half cup at a time, until all of it gets absorbed and the rice gets all thick and creamy. Simply Recipes tells you to simmer all the stock in another pot and scoop it out from there. That's too many pots on my stovetop for me! I pour my stock in a big measuring cup, 2 cups at a time, and microwave it for 1-2 minutes. That way it's nice and hot and I can just pour it from the measuring cup.

Hot Chicken Stock

Rice after 2 cups of stock

After all the stock has been absorbed, stir in the mushroom cream sauce. Add pepper to taste. Top it with all the Parmesan cheese and green stuff you want and enjoy.

 
All done!


Creamy Cheesy Mushroomy Warm Goodness!

Needless to say, this is not a low-calorie dish. That's why I'm in the Run-to-Eat Club! The cooler weather allowed me to sleep in this morning and put my long run off until about 10:30 am. I got 19 miles in without having a heat stroke. I think my face is going to be a little red tomorrow though. My leg still hurts too so I hope I can walk tomorrow!

What's your favorite comfort food?

1 comment:

  1. I love risotto but my family not so much. My favorite comfort food is pasta...and cookies...and bread...mmmmm ;)

    ReplyDelete