Tuesday, April 23, 2013

So Far So Good!

Yesterday was suppose to be my "rest" day as far as running. I went to see my chiropractor and had a myofascial release done on my left hamstring. He used some plastic tool that looked like a paint scraper with scalloped edges and mashed on my leg with it.


So this is what my leg looks like today. My husband says it looks like I've been beat. My leg has never felt better! It feels bruised since, well, it is, but the tightness is gone.

I was not going to run yesterday. Then, I found out that my local running store Blue Mile was having a Boston Marathon tribute run. It was a 26.2 minute run. They also sold T-shirts with 100% of the proceeds going to the One Fund to help all the people that were affected by the Boston bombings. I decided to participate and figured it would be a slow slog around the mall parking lot. HA! Didn't turn out that way - at least in my case. Also proves I have NO sense of pace.


Here we all are before our run. I'm kneeling in the front with a light blue T-shirt. I just figured I'd follow the pacers from the store and we'd do a slow slog around the parking lot. We got to the turn around point (we were running single file down a sidewalk so I had no idea who was behind us until then) and I realized there were only 7 of us running with the pacers. Umm... I think we're running faster than a 10 minute per mile pace... We got back to the store and had another minute to go so we ran around the fountain. I finally asked the pacer how far we ran. We ran a little over 3 miles. So much for a slow slog on my day off.

I was shocked that NOTHING hurt this morning. Today was interval day. It poured rain on me but I did them outside anyway. I did six 800 meter repeats with 2 minutes rest in between. My goal was to run them at 4:00 each. This is how it went:

#1 - 3:59
#2 - 3:54
#3 - 3:50
#4 - 3:51
#5 - 3:53
#6 - 3:49

The wind and rain picked up during #3 so I thought I was running too slow and came in too fast. I felt dead tired on #4 and #5 so I again thought I was running too slow. By #6 I was just ready to be done! I guess this whole increasing your lactate threshold theory by running intervals works. I still hate intervals. I had a one mile warm up and a one mile warm down so 5 miles for today.

I wonder if I'll be sore tonorrow. Tomorrow is definately a rest (from running) day.

No comments:

Post a Comment