Thursday, April 11, 2013

Shopping Therapy

It's grocery day! I love to shop for a good deal. However, I decided years ago that I don't need any more "stuff" in my life. These days, I think I spend more time trying to get rid of all the stuff that's been brought into this house over the years than buying new stuff. I think that's why I like grocery shopping so much. I can get great deals on consumables so it's stuff we need and use. I feel good because, even though I'm spending money, I feel that I am saving overall. And, no accumulation of stuff!

So here is how my shopping went this morning...

First stop, Meijer. I planned on mainly getting things from their 10 for 10 sale. This means they have lots of things on sale for $1, and if you buy 10 of them, you get the 11th item free. Usually, if you pair the sale with your coupons it's a great deal.

Well, things didn't go quite as planned. I had Clif Mojo bars on my list because I had 0.50 coupons that would double and make them free but Meijer didn't have them, they just had a regulat Clif bars. I also had Del Monte Fruit Naturals Mango fruit cups on the list but again, Meijer didn't have them. That took away 4 potentially free items from my 10 for 10 list so I was actually a bit hard pressed to come up with a total of 11 items. A package of strips steaks that had been marked down also jumped in my cart. They were marked down to $6.38/lb which is a good price. This is what I ended up with:

1 loaf of bread
1 lb of strawberries
3 packages Armour pepperoni slices*
1 50ct box sandwich bags*
3 Chobani Greek yogurt*
2 Aunt Millie's English muffins*
5oz bag Craisins*
3 oz Clear conditioner*
1 strip of Red Star Platinum yeast*
1 container EarthBound Farms Organic Salad*
3 cans Campbell's soup*
3 lbs of strip steak

*indicates I had coupons; blue is a 10 for 10 item

$28.01
Next stop was Kroger. Kroger is having a Mega Sale. Buy 5 items from the Mega list, get $5 off your total. You can do multiples in one transaction, as long as you buy your Mega items in multiples of 5. I did really well. I also found the Clif Mojo bars of $1 so I used my 0.50 coupons here and got them for free. So here's what I got. Other than the Clif Mojo, everything else was a Mega Sale item.
2 HUGE boxes of Cheerios
2 boxes Minute Rice
2 Hormel Compleats
2 32oz containers Mountain High yogurt
2 boxes Fiber One bars
2 Clif Mojo bars
I had a coupon for every item. The yogurt and Clif bars were free after coupon.
$5.59

I will probably go back and do one more shopping trip this week since I have more 0.50 coupons to use. Kroger will only double 2 like coupons per transaction and I wasn't motivated enough to go through again today.

Last stop, SuperTarget. The Haagen-Daz deal is back, but even better this week. The Marsh circular has a manufacturer's coupon for "Buy 2 Haagen-Daz ice cream, Get 1 Haagen-Daz Gelato Free, up to $3.50." The Target website has a printable Target coupon for "Buy 2 Haagen-Daz ice cream, Get 1 Free." I bought 3 containers of Haagen-Daz and used both coupons. I've also been getting free Campbell's Skillet sauces by using a $1 manufacturer's coupon and a $1 Target coupon (they are $1.99 ). Also got more Campbell's Go Soup using a $1 manufacturer's coupon and $1 Target coupon (they are now $2.36).

$4.58

I'll probably do some more Haagen-Daz deals this week. The price went up from a couple weeks ago, from $3.54 to $3.89 but the coupon stack is better this week, so it comes to $1.43/container.


Overall, a pretty relaxing morning at the grocery store.

Do you like to go grocery shopping?






1 comment:

  1. I LOVE grocery shopping. I am the same way, I have said before I am the opposite of a hoarder when it comes to "stuff" if it's not bolted down it's likely to go! But grocery I love to hoard! And since we rarely (read never) eat out well then the food goes pretty quickly around here. Great post. I wish I had your patience to find all those deals. I am a pretty "cheap" person but couponing stresses me out!

    ReplyDelete