Sunday, February 24, 2013

10 Miles

My legs and my brain were having an argument with my soul when I woke up this morning. My legs still felt like hundred pound bags of wet cement and my brain was telling me that even with a day off, my legs hadn't recovered sufficiently for a long run today. My soul was telling me that I had felt like this lots of times before and that I needed to stick to my plans if I ever wanted to get anywhere with my training plans. My brain said I could flip-flop my days and do my long run tomorrow - the day I had planned as another rest day. I am scheduled to work from 5 pm to 2 am tonight. I didn't know if I was REALLY up to running 10 miles tomorrow as the shift could go 9, 10, or 11 hours... I was sore. I didn't want to get hurt. It was cold out... sorta. The sun was out.

We didn't get back from my older daughter's dance competition until after 9 pm last night so it was way later than that before we got to bed. Everyone slept in this morning. I finally got up and had the breakfast of champions - coffee and biscotti.

Finally, at noon, I decided to go ahead and run. Then realized I had no fuel - no Gatorade, no Powerade, no gels, nothing. Usually, when I go 10 miles, I run a 5 mile loop and take a sip of a sports drink. If I run over 10 miles, I will eat a gel. Anything less than 5-7 (during a training run), I won't stop because it's just too much trouble. My friend Judi calls me a camel. Today, all I had was water so I stuck a water bottle at the end of the driveway and took off.

As things went, it turned into a really pleasant run. I got all the kinks out by mile one and got myself warmed up by then too. The sun was out, the air felt fresh, and it was good to be running on the road again where I could let my mind wander and not worry about counting how many laps I'd run on the indoor track.

10 miles. Done. Now it's off to work.

4 comments:

  1. I may have to stop being friends with you because you're making me look like a total slacker. No seriously, you're actually inspiring me. My plan is to go to the fitness center every morning this week at 7 am. I MUST get some of my muscle tone back after being a bowl of jelly for 3 months. I'm due to go back to work that next Tuesday...instead of 2 1/2 hours - my guess is that it will take me 2 1/2 days! You think my client will notice if I nap on her couch between tasks??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 am!!! Are you kidding me! I consider it an accomplishment if I make it there by 9 but usually it's even later than that.

      Maybe we can try a yoga class together again. I promise not to fall asleep this time.

      Delete
  2. If I don't go as soon as Lexi gets on the bus, I tend to talk myself out of going. I rationalize the hell out of why I should stay home. Plus, my dog talks me into taking naps all the time. I surely can't keep up with you, but I rode 7 miles, 30 min on treadmill, & 15 min upper body resistance machines today. Ooouuuccchhh!
    I'd rather do Pilates, if you're up for it. There's a class at 9:30 am on Tuesdays???

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7am...I am with HaeWon that's crazy early ;) Good job on the 10 miles!

    ReplyDelete