Saturday, January 20, 2024

Trying Something New: 1/14/24 - 1/20/24


I've had this pull up bar up in my house for several years now.
Looking at it every day hasn't gotten me any closer to be able to do a pull up.

I decided to try something new and signed up for 12 weeks with a strength coach to lift weights three times a week. Strength training is something that has always been on the back burner for me for various reasons... 
- It's boring
- I'm not sure my technique is correct
- I've had surgery on my right shoulder and I've guarded the movement in my right arm for so many years before that (because, otherwise, my shoulder would spontaneously dislocate) so I pretty much have no upper body strength... therefore I'm bad at it... therefore it's not fun
- Did I say it's boring?

On the other hand... I want to be able to do a pull up... 

I suppose one way to make yourself accountable is to go pay money to do something so that's what I did. It came down to signing up for strength training or rejoining the Y so I could have access to a pool and start swimming again, but the strength training place was closer than the Y and I've already done adult swim lessons, so I decided to learn how to lift weights properly instead.

Sunday 1/14/24
rest

Monday 1/15/24
7 miles
The mileage was not a problem but I think I got too dehydrated during my run.
My original plan was to run 4 miles then drink some water, then finish out the rest of the run. Well, the track was super crowded and it felt like too much trouble to stop after 4 so I ran 5, then at 5 I figured I might as well finish out the run before I stopped. I did drink an entire 500 ml afterwards but I felt like my face was hot and dry for the rest of the day and I continued to feel flushed with a bit of a headache for 2 days.

Tuesday 1/16/24
2 miles + some weights
I met with my coach for the first time today and mainly went over how the program would work before doing some upper body work.
Initial plan was to go run right after the weight session but I ended up going home instead.
G then came over and I helped her with a sewing project until late into the afternoon.
I finally made it to the track but only had time to get 2 miles in because I wanted to get home in time to shower and watch the IU basketball game.

Wednesday 1/17/24
zero miles
Pretty much all my plans for the day got trashed because my mom called in the morning saying she was too dizzy to get out of bed so I ended up driving up to my parents' house to check on her. She ended up feeling better but then I ran and got groceries and picked up prescriptions for them because the weather had been too bad the last couple of days for them to get out of the house. I had a screaming headache by the time I got home and just went to bed early.

Thursday 1/18/24
5 miles + weights
It was leg day, then I went straight to the track and ran 5 miles.
The good thing about doing the weight session before running is that I don't have to do all my dynamic muscle activation exercises before I run because I've already done them and more.

Friday 1/19/24
1 mile walk
I intended to run a couple miles but my headache was back and my legs felt heavy so I ran a lap and decided to walk out the mile and go home.

Saturday 1/20/24
3 miles + weights
It looks like Tuesdays and Saturdays are going to be upper body work and Thursdays are leg days.
3 miles went fine. I probably could have done 5 but I wanted time for a good cool down stretch AND get done in time to get to the bank before they closed at noon so I stopped at 3.

Week 3 Activity Summary
17 miles running
1 mile walking
3 weight/strength sessions

1 comment: