Sunday, February 19, 2017

Training Log 2/12/17 - 2/18/17 - Mission Accomplished

Sunday 2/12 - Rest. Like really really rest!

Monday 2/13 - 10 miles. It was the perfect day for a run so I decided to do my first double digit run of the year. 10 nice easy miles on the Monon... except for mile 7. See, after 6 miles, I decided I just HAD to know if I could run mile in 8:00. Given last weeks not-so-satisfying speed session, I didn't want any rude surprises on race day Saturday - like What if I tried to run fast and couldn't? What if I couldn't even run an 8:00 mile? So, mile 7 was my "hot lap" - see if I can run a mile in 8:00.


Sure can! Satisfied, I went back to my easy pace and finished the run.


Tuesday 2/14 - 4 miles. Easy shake out run on the hamster track. Legs felt a bit tired from Monday.

Wednesday 2/15 - 6 miles. I missed run club on Tuesday so I did pretty close to the prescribed workout on my own today. Workout was 2 mile warm up, 3 mile steady state run at 85% with 30 second surges every half mile, then 1 mile cool down. I left out the surges since my legs still felt a wee bit tired and I was worried about wearing my legs out too much before Saturday's race since I don't have a great distance base to work with. It was sunny, but cold and really windy. Ran on the Monon. First mile was really stiff but second was OK. Then the steady state...
Mile 1 - 8:25. My goal had been 8:30 pace and this felt easy. I was trying to run a nice controlled pace.
Mile 2 - 8:26. A bit harder but there was also a lot of "slow and go" moments crossing all the streets in Broadripple and I felt thrown off rhythm.
Mile 3 - 8:23. I worked a lot harder than I wanted to for this one. I was actually barely maintaining an 8:28 pace up until the last 0.15 or so of the split so I was surprised it ended up so fast.
Last mile cool down was fine. I'm a bit worried I had to work so hard for that third steady state mile.

Thursday 2/16 - 1600 meter swim. Felt like I should get another workout in this week but wanted to rest the legs some.

Friday 2/17 - Rest.

Saturday 2/18 - 7 miles. Almost a mile warm up, then the ValenTimes 10K. Met my goal of running under 52:30 by running 50:47.

27 miles this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment