Saturday, February 25, 2017

February Grocery Challenge Days 24 and 25 - Last Weekend of the Month

Friday Feb. 24th
No spending.
Made way too much food for dinner... fried walleye, homemade pizzas, fried pickles (don't ask!)

Saturday Feb. 25th
Spent this morning finishing up some deals at Meijer. I waited until today to shop since they are having a Friday-Saturday sale plus they have an mPerks coupon for 10% off general merchandise so shopped today and got my weekend newspapers there.

My daughter has been asking for some grab-and-go items that she can bring to school for breakfast. I tried making different kinds of muffins but ended up having to throw away half the last batch of apple oatmeal muffins because they didn't eat them fast enough. I finally folded today and bought some pre-packaged food. Since we're trying to eat healthier and most pre-packaged food really is full of sugar, my goal was to find things with less than 10 grams of sugar per serving and a relatively high amount of protein. Meijer had Nature Valley items Buy One, Get One Free today so I ended up getting nut bars and granola cups.

Also in their Friday-Saturday sale was Old El Paso enchilada sauce. It's normally $1.49 but was on sale for $0.88, then I had coupons printed from the Old El Paso website for $1 off 3, making them $0.55 each.

Here's what I ended up with...

4 weekend newspapers @ 1.50 each
4 boxes Nature Valley nut bars @ 2.99 each
2 boxes Nature Valley granola cups @ 3.29 each
6 cans Old El Paso enchilada sauce @ 0.88 each
5 32-oz bottles Powerade @ 0.58 each (also part of the Fri-Sat sale)
2 Evol frozen breakfast sandwiches @ 1.50 each
5 cans Maxwell House coffee @ 2.99 each
1 loaf Aunt Millie's Whole Grain bread @ 1.25
subtotal 51.92
- 0.60 (10% off general merchandise mPerks)
- 6.00 (mPerks reward from previous purchases)
- 5.00 (Buy 5 instant discount on Maxwell House)
- 2.99 (buy one, get one free Nature Valley nut bars)
- 2.99 (buy one, get one free Nature Valley nut bars)
- 3.29 (buy one, get one free Nature Valley granola cups)
- 2 (1.00 off 3 Old El Paso coupons)
- 2 (0.50 off 2 Nature Valley coupons)
- 5 (0.75 off Maxwell House coupons)
- 2 (1.00 Evol coupons)
22.30
+0.16 tax
22.46 total paid

The current mPerks reward I am working on is "Earn $6 when you spend $300." The beauty of the mPerks earned rewards is that you get credit for your total spending BEFORE any discounts. Today I got credit for spending $51.92 even though $29.62 of that was covered by coupons, store specials and previously earned mPerks rewards.

Paid $22.46
Breakfast sandwiches were already in the freezer!

Hopefully I won't have to go to the store again until Tuesday. I haven't shopped the Kroger Mega Sale at all the last 2 weeks and they have a couple good deals but nothing I absolutely need. I do, however, want to get chicken breasts there as they are 1.77/lb this week so if I make it to Tuesday without any spending I may buy some fun stuff with what I have left in the budget.

February Grocery Spending: $177.81
February Donation Spending: $18.94

No comments:

Post a Comment