Monday, May 19, 2014

A Week in a Life of an Aspiring Age-Grouper, Mom, Home Manager, etc...


This coming weekend will be my weekend. My weekend to race... and work.

I haven't really had a good running week since the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon. This is how my past week went...

Saturday and Sunday - Rising Star dance competition with G all weekend. No running at all.



Monday - 3 little miles
Tuesday - went to check out some trails...

I had planned to do 5-10 miles. Lots of firsts. First time I ever took my phone with me on a run. I figured since I was by myself in the middle of nowhere I better have a phone in case I turned an ankle or something. First time with a fuel belt. I needed something to stash my phone, plus I got thirsty when I ran the trail the week before and since the trail is a 10 mile loop I pretty much had to carry what I wanted with me. First time with a hat. Normally I can't stand anything on my head but the thought of ticks or tent worms dropping on my head convinced me to wear a lightweight cap.

the woods were lovely
 
saw this guy on my trail

 
All was going well until a bug dive bombed my left eye. I got my eye closed in time but it stung me right next to my eye. It burned so bad I couldn't get my eye open. I didn't think stumbling around on a rooty trail with one eye was a good idea so I ended up cutting my run short and only got 4 miles in.
 
Wednesday - 5 miles in the morning, then saw my chiropractor to get my legs stretched out. I was planning to run further but it started pouring rain and I figured I'd just run more the next day as I'm not following any kind of training schedule right now and just running what I feel like...
 
However, in retrospect, I should have run more!
 
The soupy ice cream was the tip off. My daughter went to get some ice cream after dinner on Wednesday night and it was soup. Maybe the freezer door hadn't been shut all the way? The refrigerator was making noise and the lights were on... but after a few hours it was obvious it wasn't cooling anymore.
 
My husband and I debated whether to try to find someone to fix the compressor vs. buying a new fridge. Ours was 13 years old. We decided to get a new one. We lost all the ice cream but I was able to get most of our food in the basement refrigerator - the avocado green side-by-side that won't die. The previous homeowners had tried to sell it to us when me moved into this house 13 years ago. We told them we didn't want it. When we moved in, we found that they had left it anyway.
 
Thursday morning was spent pricing and shopping for refrigerators instead of running. We finally purchased one two hours before I had to go to work.
 
Friday I got home from work at 4 am. Slept for a couple hours but then got up because the new refrigerator got delivered at 11 am. Next couple hours were spent washing and assembling the shelves in the new refrigerator and moving the food back in.
 
out with the old
 
in with the new
 
For some strange reason, the new refrigerator made me happy! Maybe it was just the newness of it. It's like I didn't know I wanted a new refrigerator until I got one, then I realized I really wanted a new refrigerator. Maybe it's because I got to purge out all the old rotting forgotten things from the old fridge and start fresh with the new one.
 
everything in it's place
 
No running Friday either since I got done putting food away right as the kids got home from school. G and I then spent the entire weekend at the Ticket to Broadway dance competition. We were there from 7-10:30 pm on Friday night. Saturday I squeezed in a 3 mile run in the morning before heading back to the competition and stayed there until 10:30 pm. By Sunday, I was dead! We drug ourselves out of bed and went back to the competition. We got done "early" at 9 pm so, again, no running for me on Sunday.
 
G at Ticket to Broadway


 
So that was my week - two dance competitions, a trail run gone bad, a new refrigerator...
 
This weekend I signed myself up for a crazy triple header race on Saturday. It's all part of my race series... 4 mile trail race at 8 am, 5K at noon, and 1 mile run at 5 pm. Then I have to be at work by 7 pm for a 12 hour shift.
 
Why am I so crazy? The latest points standings in my race series came out. Going into the year I wanted to win my age group. Now, with almost 5 months down, I am finding myself in second place overall!
 
 
With the Memorial weekend triple header, if you do all 3 races, you earn 8 bonus points. If I run, I'm fairly sure I can win my age group or better in all 3 races. That nets at least 20 points. A 20 point points swing is HUGE. I am currently leading my age group by 15 points.
 
So here are my goals this week...
1. Run or do something very active every day
2. Get rid of something from my house everyday
3. Blog a little about it everyday to stay accountable
 
Today I ran 5 miles and threw out more outdated food from my kitchen. Now it's off to work!

2 comments:

  1. GREAT fridge. I do not like fridge shopping...too overwhelming. I feel that whatever decision we/I make there will be some function I won't like in the long run...can I live with it or not...seriously I make myself crazy. On another note I LOVE your goals for the week. I am adopting them (hope that's OK!) maybe not the blog about it everyday part... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had time, I think the fridge shopping would have been overwhelming too. However, it's not like I had a choice! Had to find something that fit my kitchen and was in stock so it narrowed my choices pretty quickly and, quite honestly, once I picked a style (French doors, bottom freezer), all the different brands were pretty similar. I did most of the shopping online then called the store to verify they had it, went to the store to lay eyes on it, then bought it.

      Delete