Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Stocking Up

Couponing. It's all about keeping up with the deals. It's a time sensitive endeavor and I've been so busy lately that I've just been living off the stockpile... which is nice to do, as long as you have a stockpile.

I realized this weekend that I was bringing up my last 6-pack of paper towels from the basement. Wake up time! Time to get a little more serious about finding the deals or, God forbid, I might have to pay full price for something!

So here are my deals so far this week...

A year supply of laundry detergent... $12.24
 
 
My husband claims that Arm and Hammer liquid laundry detergent is the only detergent that won't break him out (he's the sensitive kind) so that's the only kind I buy. It used to be, back when everybody doubled coupons, the detergent would go on sale for $2 and there would be a $0.50 coupon out that doubled so I paid $1 a bottle. Those days are long gone...
 
Most stores have the Arm and Hammer on sale for $2.99 this week. There is a coupon that came out on Sunday (also online) for $2 off 2 bottles. Meijer also had a promo this week where you got $5 off instantly for a $20+ laundry detergent purchase. Plus, I have an offer in my mPerks account where I can earn $6 if I spend $35 on laundry detergent, paper, or cleaning products.
 
So, 8 bottles of detergent. 75oz each, good for 50 loads, that's a year supply and more in my house.
8 X $2.99 = $23.92
                    - $5 instant savings = $18.92 + tax = $20.24
                                                                                 - 4($2off 2 coupons) = $12.24
 
That comes to $1.53 a bottle. Not $1 but I don't think I'll ever see that price again so this was a stock up price for me. The full rip retail price for this detergent at Meijer is $4.99 a bottle.
 
The mPerks offer is a running total and they count the price before coupons so I got credit for a $24 purchase. When I spend $11 more in that category I will get a $6 coupon good for my next purchase on anything in the store.

On to Walgreens for my next deal...
Through Tuesday, there was an offer for 5000 bonus Balance Rewards points if you made a $25 purchase in a single transaction. That's $25 before coupons (yeah!) I stacked that offer with some sales:
1. (2) 6-packs of Scott paper towels
    2 for $9, earn 2000 Balance Rewards points for purchase when you buy 2
    I used (2) $0.75 off coupons
2. (2) Brookside chocolate bags
    2 for $6, earn 1000 Balance Rewards points for purchase when you buy 2
     I used (2) $1 off coupons
3. (3) Colgate Enamel Health toothpastes
    $3.49 each, earn 3000 Balance Rewards points for purchase when you buy 3
     I used (3) $2 off coupons

So, total before coupons... $25.47, got my 5000 Balance Rewards points.
Total after coupons: $15.97 + 1.78 tax = $17.75
Earned 11000 total Balance Rewards points for my purchase.
1000 points = $1, so I essentially earned $11 in fake Walgreens money to use on my next purchase.

The good thing about Balance Rewards points is that they don't expire so it's essentially like having a gift card. The bad thing about Balance Rewards points is that you can only use them in $5, $10, $20, $35 and $50 increments. You also get a better deal when you spend a larger dollar value as 5000 points is $5 and 10000 points is $10, but then it goes 18000 points for $20, 30000 for $35, and 40000 points for $50. The other bad thing about Balance Rewards points is that you cannot earn Balance Reward points on items that you buy with Balance Rewards points... so if I had used points I had previously earned on this transaction, I would not have earned any points. Not all store items will get you points so you just spend points on things that don't earn points.

Paid $17.75. Earned $11 in Balance Rewards points.
 
 
The new grocery ad comes out tomorrow. Meijer is having a deal on Friday and Saturday where you get $5 off instantly on a $50+ purchase so I'll probably do a Meijer trip on Friday morning.
 
CVS is running another gift card deal this week so I'll probably stock up on some more paper products there this week. I'll post an update after those trips.
 
Anyone else got a deal this week?

1 comment:

  1. You rock. I am just happy I made it to the store and back without getting lost this week....it's been crazy around here. Big family wedding this weekend, family in town for 10 days...etc...so I made sure I had plenty of wine! ;)

    ReplyDelete