Monday, September 29, 2014

Five Things I've Learned

I went for my first run in 25 days yesterday. Nice easy 3 miler. It was wonderful.

So this is what I've learned in my time off...

1. I need to sleep more.
Duh... probably obvious to everyone but myself. I'd been going on 4-5 hours of sleep for days on end for lots of different reasons - including the fact that my legs and butt hurt so bad I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to foam roll myself - but other stupid reasons too, and finally I just couldn't take it anymore. So, trying to get to bed earlier these days.

2. I eat like crap... all the time.
I need to plan my meals better. I get so busy running around that I'm starving by the time I get to eat so I'll end up shoving whatever is easiest (i.e. drive-thru) in my mouth. I used to think that as long as I stayed active it doesn't matter but it's really catching up to me. My goal for October is to be more conscious about what I eat.

3. PT exercises are boring.
I used to think there was nothing more boring than lifting weights. PT takes the cake. But I've been doing them.

4. I need to "just do it."
So many times I just over think my workouts. I can't do it now because I need to fuel first. I can't do it now because I need to wait for my food to digest. I can't do it now because I won't have time to stretch afterwards and pick kids up on time.
Really, I'm just procrastinating. I know that in January when I had kettlebell class at 5 am I just rolled in the car and went to class. I was halfway through class before I woke up and got it done that way. I need to "just do it!"

5. I need to schedule my workouts.
I do so much better when the mileage is penciled in on my calendar and I have a training plan. Better yet is when I actually have a time penciled in for when I'm going to do said work out everyday. I find that I actually do better getting my runs in on my crazy days where I'm on a tight schedule because I've scheduled my run. I look back through this blog and see that I ran 19 miles one morning before going to work. Then, I've had days off where I've had all afternoon to get a run in and I just can't find the time!

So... legs feel better and I'm just doing some easy miles now. I'm working on sleep, nutrition, and all those boring exercises. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. I have been so bad lately about doing more than just running. I need to get back with my weight lifting and more stretching. I understand about eating "bad" stuff, although I don't go to the drive-thru much I do grab whatever I can find in my pantry which usually is goldfish or chips....so I've stopped buying them. Needless to say my family is no longer talking to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete