Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Finding Peace


Decision's been made. I am not running a marathon this year...

I ran a long run of 17 miles 2 weeks ago. I ran back to back 10's last week. I had 20 on the schedule for Friday. Then, when it came down to it, I simply didn't want to go run.

My legs still hurt and in order to make things tolerable I can't run very fast. 20 miles would have taken about 4 hours. 4 hours on my day off. There were lots of other things I wanted to do in those 4 hours and my heart's just not in it. So I called off the 20, did stuff around the house, and I haven't run since.

I think the final decision was made Saturday night when I was talking to my friend John and he pointed out that he has registered for the California International Marathon (CIM) 3 years in a row now and he has yet to run it due to injury. He suffered through Western States with his Achilles injury but hasn't run since so CIM might be out for him again this year. He thought maybe we could both heal up this year and run a marathon together next year... so that's the plan.

I've got some more PT sessions and I'll probably cross-train with something else but I'm just enjoying some time off right now. Here's a little of what I've been up to...

1. I got to start working on the stadium blanket I've been dying to crochet since last year. I'm making it in my daughter's school colors which, conveniently, just happens to be my alma mater IU's school colors too. The weather is just starting to cool off in the mornings so I have visions of snuggling under it at October football games. Pattern is HERE.

2. I got a Pinterest account. 'Nuff said. I'm still trying to figure some stuff around the site though. Can you just pin something or do you have to put it on a "board" that you make? I can't seem to pin anything unless I create a board for it first. Someone tell me!

3. Fixing my Dyson. I love my Dyson and it can do a lot of things. However, it is NOT a shop vac. My daughter used it to suck up about a gallon of water...which it apparently sucked up very well. Of course she didn't tell me so the next time I tried to use it, water poured out of it. Luckily I was trying to vacuum a hard surface otherwise I might be burying her body in the yard as well. I had to take the whole thing apart and let it dry out for several days but I'm happy to report it works just fine now.

4. Getting new flooring. We are re-doing our basement. Can't wait!

5. Trying to solve more first world problems. Spent three and a half hours shopping for a Homecoming dress with my daughter last night with no results. It's impossible to find something for someone who's a size 1.

6. Chasing more grocery deals. My deal of the day yesterday... Meijer has Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough on Price Drop for $2.00. The Pillsbury website had coupons for $1 off so the kids got warm chocolate chip cookies fresh out of the oven, courtesy of Pillsbury, when they got home from school yesterday. Sure, I could have made homemade cookies but I wanted to crochet and my husband has reminded me time and time again that my time is worth something too. So, for a $1, I figured refrigerated cookie dough was OK.

Overall I'm just enjoying the peace of not having a painful run hanging over my head every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment