Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Scaring the Cr@p Out of Myself

"Do one thing every day that scares you."
- Eleanor Roosevelt
 
 
Eleanor should be proud of me. I decided on a fitness plan for the next couple months and, truth be told, my ambition scares the cr@p out of me. Can I stick to it?
 
Here's what I signed myself up for...
 
      This is a Russian Kettlebell class run by Marty Mills, head strength and conditioning coach at Center Grove High School. He is suppose to be the #1 kettlebell instructor in the country. I signed up for a 3 month membership that starts January 6th.
     The scary part...classes are at 5:15 or 6 AM!!! Am I going to be able to haul myself out of bed on a cold January morning? Well, it's paid for and I need to do some core work so that's what I committed to. There are evening classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays but I am generally running kids around if I am not at work so I guess I'm going to have to learn to be one of those people and haul myself out of bed to work out.
     I guess I can always go back to bed after working out!

2. Derby Festival Marathon
    April 19th, 2014. That's the date I chose for my next Boston qualifying attempt. I chose this race because it has a 3:50 pace group. I considered the Carmel Marathon on April 12th but it did not offer a 3:50 pace group. Carmel went from 3:45 to 3:55. I didn't want to push it and try for 3:45 but I didn't want to chance missing my time with the 3:55 group either.
    I've never run in Louisville before. Looks like there's a hill halfway through the race (gulp). I am going to use Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 marathon training program again. The 18 week program will start on December 15th. That gives me a total of 6 weeks rest from the Monumental Marathon to the start of the new training cycle. I am hoping my hamstring and my heels are better by then. I still feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck when I wake up in the mornings.

3. Hot Yoga
    I want to try something new. What better to do on a cold day than Hot Yoga! I found a Living
Social deal at The Body Sanctuary - 10 Hot Yoga or Mat Pilates classes for $59. I am going to my first class on Thursday.

Until my new training cycle starts, I'm trying to stick to non-weight bearing exercises. I haven't run in a week and it's making me nervous. I'm going to try some shorter runs soon. My last race of the year will be a 5K (Reindeer Romp) on December 14th. I think that will give me an idea of what kind of shape I'm in before I start the new training cycle the next day.

Want to join me in any of my endeavors? Go click the links and sign up to exercise with me. I'd love some company - especially at 5:15 am! I asked my husband if he would do the kettlebell class with me and got an "absolutely NOT" answer. He did, however, agree to go down to Louisville with me.

Have you scared yourself lately?

1 comment:

  1. Have I scared myself lately? Not as much as I should. Thanks for the kick in the pants.

    You'll enjoy the Derby Marathon. I did the half last spring and knocked 6 minutes off of the previous weekend's PR (Carmel). It's not crowded at all and the city streets are wide at the starts so there is no congestion whatsoever. The hill is after the half splits off, but from what I've heard, it's not so bad - you won't let it slow you down!

    I was stressed out about parking - there was no info anywhere. That's because it's a no-brainer. The main parking is right at the starting line. Literally, you line up with the baseball stadium's front walk on one side and the parking lot on the other! Super easy to get in and out of. :)

    Between the kettleballs and the yoga and everything else, you are going to KILL it come spring (is that the wrong thing to say to a doc?)

    ReplyDelete