Saturday, December 27, 2014

Napa Training Week 9... Holiday Mayhem

All I can say is thank goodness this was a drop down week...

Sunday - 6 miles. Went to see my father-in-law at the hospital in the morning and squeezed in my run in the afternoon.

Monday - No run. Got up at 4:30 am to go to work. It was crazy busy. I got home to find my husband crashed out on the couch; he'd been at the hospital all day for his dad's surgery. I crashed out on the other couch and it was lights out.

Tuesday - No run. Up at 4:30 am to go to work again. Got home and went to see my father-in-law (who happens to be at a totally different hospital).

Wednesday - Rest day. Up at 4:30 am to go to work. It's Christmas Eve. We usually spend Christmas Eve at my in-laws and Christmas Day with my parents so I don't cook either day, therefore, we have hardly any food in the house this week and I have been too busy to go grocery shopping. I got home from work and we decided the whole family would go to the hospital to see my father-in-law.

We thought we'd eat at the hospital. By the time we got there though, the cafeteria was closed. We got done visiting and now it was after 8 pm. I last ate around noon so I was ready to chew my arm off. My husband said that there would be lots of places open in Castleton to eat... so we drove around... to Fazoli's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, McDonald's... all closed. The only place open was Rally's. I've never eaten at a Rally's before. We perused the drive-thru menu and decided pretty much everything on the menu would kill you. Chili cheese fries or fried grilled cheese bites were sounding pretty damn good though! I ended up with the greasiest double decker fried fish sandwich I'd ever eaten. The kids got chicken bites that they swore tasted like shrimp. It was the only place open and their double drive-thru was packed with cars. Our drive-thru girl started taking our order then said to wait... and we waited... and waited... and waited. Finally my husband said, "Hello?" and about got his head bit off. I think the drive-thru girl was about to snap. Merry Christmas!

We got home in time to attend the 11:30 pm candlelight service. I got to bed at 2 am.

Thursday - Rest day. Christmas. I was so happy I didn't have to get up early to go to work. We laid around the house all day then went to my parents for supper.

Friday - 6 miles. OMG it finally stopped raining! It's rained all week. It's pace run day. No high/low pace alarm on my watch today (or ever again!) I decided to try to run by feel. It didn't work out exactly that well. Goal again is 8:45 pace...

Mile 1 - 8:17. OK, I know it's too fast but I was nervous about being too slow since I hadn't run all week so I was secretly pleased. I am trying to check my watch only about every quarter mile.

Mile 2 - 8:13. OK, now I'm running too fast but my brain is also saying "Hey, you have almost a minute in the bank."

Mile 3 - 8:19. Umm, I know this is too fast but it feels pretty good. Heck, I've had days when this was my 5K race pace but I don't feel like I'm working hard like in a race today. I shouldn't be doing this... but I'm kinda seeing how long it will last.

Mile 4 - 8:24. Now I'm running back home and running into the wind. The last 2 miles will be the toughest because I'll be going uphill into the wind. It's starting to feel hard.

Mile 5 - 8:49. It's hard now... and I'm starting to get that feeling where it feels like all my insides are going to fall out.

Mile 6 - 8:54. I had to work to keep it under 9:00. Not how I wanted to finish the run.

So goal was 8:45 pace. Ended up averaging 8:29 for 6 miles but I was all over the place. I still have lots of work to do. Happy I averaged under pace though since I hadn't even made pace on my last couple pace days.

Saturday - 12 miles. Nice easy run. It's freakin' raining again so I hamster tracked it.

Week 9 Total Miles: 24
3 good days, 2 missed runs, 2 rest days

I made out my January run schedule tonight. I'm staring down some HUGE miles the next couple weeks. I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment