Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Harnessing the Runaway Train


My life has become a runaway train of late. It all came to a head last night when I realized I had over 1000 emails in my inbox and I couldn't find my paper calendar/schedule. How did this happen?

First Saturday of May was the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon.

Second weekend of May was Rising Star dance competition.
Third weekend of May was Ticket to Broadway dance competition.
Dance competition weeks are busy as there are extra rehearsals in the studio and costumes to bling. Not only was G dancing but I did the choreography for one of her solos and I was the choreographer  for one of the high school girls' groups so I had to run those rehearsals.

My refrigerator died.

Fourth weekend of May was my crazy triple header Memorial Day race day plus work.
Work went on til Wednesday. I had Thursday and Friday off for my G's 5th grade graduation activities... then the kids were out of school but I had to work Sat-Sun-Mon until I got a day off.

Yesterday was my day off.

What happened to summer vacations where everyone just got to lay around all day? I had paper calendars printed for June, July, and August with all the kids activities and my work schedule and my activities penned in. There wasn't a blank day on that calendar.

I am the original troglodyte. I prefer my schedules to be made with pen and paper. I just learned to text but I still can't fully operate my cell phone. I just got onto Facebook this year but can't figure out what the difference is between clicking on your name or "home." Is "home" your newsfeed? Are all your "friends" on your newsfeed? What's your "wall"? I've had this blog for over a year but can't figure out how to put text next to my photos or tabs across the top of my page (anyone?) ...get the picture?

Anyway, back to those emails... 1000+ in various stages of reading and dealing. More stuff to pen in on my calendar. Where the he** is my calendar? I don't even know what I'm doing for the rest of this week without those pieces of paper. Last time I saw it, my husband had it in his hand wanting my work schedule so he could figure out what days he could go out of town... and now he's out of town. I finally called him. He took my calendar with him because he didn't have time to copy it. Ackkk!!

He ended up taking a picture of my calendar and emailing it to me.

Then I started wading through those emails. I have never let the emails go this bad to where I had over 1000. Halfway through May, I found my gas bill and a Kohls charge bill. Both due June 1st. Ughh... first time ever I've been late paying a bill.

Yup. I decided then and there that my life is pretty much out of control right now. The irony seems to be that the less I put on my "to do" list, the more chaotic my life gets. I think I need a training schedule again. The busier I think I am, the more efficient I get with my time.

Today, it was time to be efficient.
Accomplishments for today...

1. Spent some quality time with the kids while they are on vacation. We went out for breakfast - or brunch - it was 10:30 am.

2. G has been wanted to go to Nashville, IN for some time now to do some shopping so she and I did that next.

3. Got groceries to make dinner. We've been doing WAY to much drive-thru lately.

4. Took J to cheer; put dinner in the oven and ran 5 miles while she was at cheer.

5. Made dessert after dinner. I have been wanting to make these Nanaimo bars ever since I first read about them. I finally made them tonight!



I have one more day off tomorrow. I am planning to find a training schedule... wade through some more emails... and run the Monumental Mile with Trena in the evening.

Now it's off to enjoy some Nanaimo bars!


1 comment:

  1. OH MY.....those nanaimo bars just feel like my childhood. I hope you liked them....argggg now I miss my mom (my folks are in Europe for a month!) WOW 1000 emails. yikes. I hate emails especially since my husband put my email on my cell I see them ALL THE TIME....so now I just delete everything and we both know how completely stupid that is but that's me....get back on track you can do it!
    On a funny note: both bear and sunshine have been bugging me to go to Nashville, maybe it's a kids' thing or just a fun summer activity! :)

    ReplyDelete