Sunday, June 22, 2014

Sun Run 5K - The Longest Day


Saturday June 21st. First day of summer. The longest day of the year. This was the view from my driveway
at 6 am as I left for my race. 68 degrees. 90% humidity. Awesome (insert sarcasm here).

It poured rain as I drove into work Friday afternoon. I had a moment where I actually wished for thunderstorms and tornados for the morning so my race would be canceled. I really did not feel like racing. However, I knew that if I didn't race, I wasn't going to run. What I really wanted to do was sleep in, then get online and follow all my fellow runners that were tackling Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN. Since I had to be back at work in the afternoon, if I didn't run early, I wasn't going to run...and, left to my own devices, that wasn't going to happen. So race it was.

Midnight - I finally got off work.
1 am - home; bed sometime after
5 am - up...well not really. Awake but didn't really get out of bed til, oh, 5:30.
6 am - out the door to drive to Columbus
7 am - pick up race packet and start moving around
8 am - race time

It was miserably hot by race time. I felt OK at the start but then got really reluctant to push the pace once everyone settled into their respective "places" - meaning I wasn't too motivated to catch the person in front of me. Then I realized I was slowing down way too much and had to kick it up a few gears. My pace was all over the place...

Mile 1 - 7:44
Mile 2 - 8:41
Mile 3 - 8:17
last 0.1 - 0:50

Official time - 25:32 (8:13 pace)

My goal for this race was to just run 25-something so I was fine with that. I knew that my second mile was slow but I also knew I had plenty of reserve to pick it up at the end to get in on time, although I always get nervous sprinting down towards the finish chute when I can see the numbers turning.

Ended up 6th overall in the women's race and first in the 40-49 age group.

 
This picture is for me more than anything else as the medal had no words on it so next year, when I have no clue what I got this for, I can look it up.

I was back home by 10:30 am. By the time I had showered and changed, I started getting the first of my text alerts for the runners I was tracking in Duluth. There were 13 friends running, but I could only track 4 by text alert so I got online to keep up. Then I got really sleepy...

I tried to grab a quick nap. I had to leave by 1:30 pm to go to work. Thought I'd nap til 1:00. Shortly after 12:30 though, my phone dinged. They were finishing. My friend Trena was the first of the group. She made her goal of lowering her Boston qualifying time by running 3:32. I knew everyone else would be coming in after that so I gave up on sleeping.

1:30 pm - left the house to go to work. Friends are still finishing.
2:30 pm - work

It was basically the shift from hell...

11:40 pm - DONE! clocked out and checked to see how everyone else had finished

Definitely the longest day...

One more shift today then it's off to Western States tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

  1. Travel Safely! Can't wait to hear how it went. Our Saturday was looooong as well. We spent the day at the new Grand Park in Westfield for a Lacrosse Tournament. Our team played 4 games. 4 long games in the sun and heat. 2 back to back in the morning, 1 1/2 hour break and two more back to back early afternoon. My poor Sunshine is beat...although she has training all week! When you get back we definitely need to try a trail run...a SLOW trail run ;) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete