Thursday, February 13, 2014

Winter Camp for Adults

Yup, I am definitely at winter camp for adults. My day flew by and I got to learn all kinds of ultra cool stuff...

Did you know you can start a fire by crossing the negative and positive poles of a 9-volt battery with some steel wool? You should bring out your inner pyromaniac and try it!

Also got to jimmy the inner doors open in an elevator between floors and unlatch the outer doors on the floor above you to crawl out. Hint - ALWAYS crawl UP, so if you fall, you fall back into the elevator!

For some more practical advice, if you are traveling with children, stick your business card and/or the card of the hotel you are staying at in your kid's pocket before going sightseeing so if something happens they will have some contact numbers on them.

Got to learn how to make a pulley system to rappel out of a burning hotel room.

Also got to play in the snow and make my own emergency snow shelter...


                                                                              ...and build an igloo.



Plus LOTS of other stuff... like how to remove a bot fly out of someone with a cigarette, or petroleum jelly, or bacon... important medicine related stuff like that!

The day ended with a welcome reception. I didn't get back to my room til 8 pm. Then, I had to get my run in. I SO wanted to blow it off. But, I told my sole sister Michelle that I was dedicating my run tonight to her so I ran, on the dreadmill, for the longest time ever.

I had 5 miles on the schedule. I scoped out the terrain around the resort this afternoon on my lunch break and decided there really isn't anywhere to run. There are plenty of trails but the problem is they are all covered with several inches of powdery slushy snow. I have cold weather running gear but the problem is my shoes. My feet will get soaking wet in no time flat and then they will freeze. I managed a 5K in December like this but I can't imagine running any longer with frozen feet. So treadmill it was. I decided to start at a 10 minute pace. I almost quit after a half mile because I couldn't breathe and my head was pounding. Then I decided to try the run/walk method that many of my sole sisters do. The TV in the exercise room was on so I walked at a 15 minute pace through all the commercials then speeded back up to a jog through whatever was on. Longest 5 miles of my life in 58:39 but I'm proud to say I got it done!

I hope I can acclimate a bit more before my 13 on Friday.

2 comments:

  1. good job on all the survival learning! Very cool! I have been running on the dreadmill EVERY SINGLE DAY....I hate this weather. I hate this weather...yea I know I said that twice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I did know a fire could be started that way, lol. I know lots of survival tips, but haven't had any practical application. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'd have a brain freeze when I'd really need to draw on my wealth of knowledge, lmao. But I'm gonna keep on watching all my fav Discovery shows anyway. You never know...some little tidbit might save my life one day. :-)
    So glad you're having fun! It looks right up your alley. Love the pics.

    ReplyDelete