Monday, February 10, 2014

Showing Up... Dash for Heart 5K



It's cold. It's dark. I am totally unmotivated. I'm having a really hard time getting my body to show up for it's work outs.

The past two weeks have been a struggle. Week 7 of Derby Training was tough but I got all my runs in, mainly with lots of support from my fellow online Sole Sisters...

Sunday - rest
Monday - 8 miles
Tuesday - 4 miles
Wednesday - kettlebells
Thursday - 4 miles
Friday - kettlebells, 8 miles
Saturday - 16 miles

Week 7 Total Miles: 40

Last week, Week 8, it all fell apart due to weather and weakness (on my part)...

Sunday - rest
Monday - 4 miles
Tuesday - 8 miles
Wednesday - I had to bag my 17 mile long run due to 7" of snow and spending 3 hours shoveling
                      my driveway before going in to work
Thursday - rest (and really, I was too sore to move)
Friday - kettlebells, 4 miles (still sore)
Saturday - my 10K was canceled due to the weather. I should have done my long run or at least
                  done 8 miles but hanging out at home and making more Nutella cookies before going
                  into work sounded like a better idea so I bagged my run again.

Week 8 Total Miles: 16

So now I am into Week 9 and had a 5K on the schedule yesterday morning. The race was at 1 pm in Nashville, IN. I was suppose to be at work in Bloomington, IN at 2:30 pm. Timewise, it was going to be close. Plan was to run my race, jump in the car and drive to the hospital, shower and change at the hospital and clock in. I hate being rushed...

So why the heck did I sign up for this? I hate running in cold weather. I believe I've only run outdoors twice this year. What possessed me?

I'm cursed with a competitive spirit. This weekend's races were the first races of the year for the Crossroads of Indiana Race Series. I really want to win my age group this year. I think I can win my age group this year as I'm now running in the 45-49 age group and I think I'm a couple minutes faster than the next fastest runner. However, you have to show up and run the race to get credit. It doesn't count to sit on the couch and look at the race results and say, "I could've run faster than that."

So I showed up. It was cold. It was windy. The course went straight uphill at the midway portion of the race.


I ran like hell but I think everyone ran like hell since the women's winner ran 21:32. Here are my crappy splits...

Mile 1 - 7:45
Mile 2 - 8:41
Mile 3 - 8:28
last 0.1 - 1:53

Official finish time - 26:47
Average pace - 8:37 (ugh, that was the pace for my last half-marathon!)

The race started and finished at the Nashville YMCA so I was able to grab a shower there instead of at the hospital. I got changed and thought about staying til awards but there were still people running the course when I got done showering so I jumped in my car and drove to work and looked up the race results later.

For the race, I ended up 10th overall woman, second in the women's 40-49 age group, 40 seconds out of first. For the race series, I won the 45-49 age group by 2:17. Looks like I have a lot more work to do getting my speed back up.

Today, again, I didn't want to show up to kettlebell class. 5:15 am is so freakin' early for nightowls like me! (Especially after working til midnight.) I basically stumbled out of bed with the angel and the devil warring in my head and got to class before I woke up and could change my mind. Class is always fine once I get there. There's loud rock music blasting and a 20-something looking guy yelling instructions at you so you feel like you're 20 and at boot camp. It kicked my butt. I got home and made it to the couch, then fell asleep again.

So now I've still got 9 more miles on my plate today. I need to show up! Tomorrow I'm flying out to Montana for a week long Wilderness Medicine Conference. I'm excited but nervous about how I'm going to get my runs in. Luckily this is a "down" week in the training schedule.

Gotta run now!

No comments:

Post a Comment