Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Just Did It


Well, I peeled myself off the couch yesterday and ran 10 miles. Then I "slept" for 12 hours. "Slept" meaning I kept waking up because my left leg hurt but I was too sleepy to do anything about it, then I got up at 7 am to take kid #1 to the end of the driveway for the bus, then again at 8 am to take kid #2 to school. Then I went back to bed and stayed there til 10:30 am.

I then decided I was going to do my 20-miler today. You are suppose to practice your fueling and pre-race prep, etc. before your long runs. Today, I was fueled on a banana, multiple cups of coffee, chicken noodle soup, Sudafed (the real behind the pharmacy counter legal speed), Motrin, Robitussin DM, and Afrin nasal spray. Pretty much took the medicine cabinet before I headed out. My husband always freaks out when I take multiple meds all at once but, trust me, they all have different active ingredients. I would have definitely failed an athletic drug test today though.

So... I cruised through 12 miles - probably high on meds and caffeine. I could feel my quads getting tired at 14. I got REALLY tired at 16. 18 and 19 were hard because I got to stop for water and Powerade at the end of my driveway after 17 and had a real hard time getting going again. I just powered through mile 20 knowing I DID IT!

I kept telling myself that this was the last "hard" thing I had to do this week. I ran 35 miles in 3 days. I'm hoping to get an easy 5 miler in tomorrow. I have to work the night shift tomorrow night. I've pretty much given up on trying to "pre-sleep" for a night shift so I'll be pulling an all-nighter on Thursday. Friday is my running "rest" day. I bought new bedroom furniture for my older daughter and that is supposed to be delivered sometime Friday so I don't know how much "rest" I'll get. Basically, I am hoping to be home by 7:30 am, then I have to move the existing queen matress/boxspring and bed frame plus a desk out of the room so the delivery people can set up the new furniture when they arrive. I'm hoping the delivery people come in the afternoon so I can sleep for a couple hours.

I am doing my last long tempo run on Saturday - running a 15K (9.3 miles) that's part of the Indiana Crossroads series in Columbus. I am really going to try and focus on my pace. The race actually has a 5K and 15K relay going on at the same time. The 5K runners do one loop of the course. The 15K relay runners will trade off runners every loop while the 15K runners do 3 loops of the course. Obviously the 5K and relay runners are going to be running a much faster pace so I'm working on not getting wrapped up in everyone else's pace and just trying to run my own race.

What's everyone else up to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment