Friday, August 2, 2019

Europe Day 4: Duesseldorf, Classic Remise

Wednesday July 17, 2019



The blackout shades in our room really worked.
The last thing I said before going to bed was that I was going to sleep in in the morning.
We woke up because there was a maintenance guy trying to get in the room to fix a light. He thought we were out for the day. Hubs rolled over and checked the time. It was noon. I guess we were really tired!

The plan for the day was to check out the Classic Remise. The Classic Remise is an old train roundhouse that has been converted into a car enthusiast's haven. There are shops there that restore cars. There are shops there that perform maintenance on high end cars. There are high end cars displayed for sale. You can even store your collectable car there in a glass storage container so it can be viewed.

Cars for sale

I'm not sure yellow is my color

This one's a beauty!

How about this one?

Decisions, decisions...

Cars that are being stored in glass "boxes"

One of the custom shops

Admission as well as parking at the Classic Remise are free. There is a restaurant in the middle of the "show room" called Mezzomar that had excellent food. We had lunch as soon as we got there and ate while gazing at all the cars around us. We then looked at all the cars that were for sale before peeking into the work shops and looking at the cars that were being stored. There was even a small gallery of car related art.

Some of the art I loved...


After our day at the Classic Remise my husband decided to do some laundry as there was a laundromat conveniently situated across the street from our hotel. Meanwhile I decided to go for a run. I asked the front desk staff which direction would be a good way to go. So... they were not runners. They pointed me towards the City Center and said there would be a park by the Rhine.

Well...
There is no such thing as a straight street in Duesseldorf. Plus, there was a stoplight every 100-200 meters, and, at every intersection you had a choice of about three different ways to go. I ran what I thought was the straightest trajectory. I went 2 miles but never saw a park or the river. I then turned around and started retracing my steps back. I was a mile from the hotel when I realized I had made a wrong turn somewhere in the last several blocks and I was now on an unfamiliar street... with everything written in German. I had a brief moment of panic, then told myself that I knew I was within a one mile radius of the hotel and, if it came down to it, I could go down into a station and find a map since I knew the name of the street the hotel was on. I didn't have my phone as I never run with one; all I had was my hotel card and my watch. Several blocks of running back and forth retracing steps and I found a familiar street and got back to the hotel. I then ran away from the City Center and found a straighter path until I completed 6 miles. I still beat my husband back to the room and was showered and changed by the time he got back from the laundromat.

Lost in Dusseldorf... never did get to the Rhine!

We went out for a late dinner after that Frankenheim Brewpub.I was still full from lunch so I just had a bowl of goulash soup but we split an apple studel for dessert. It was 10 pm by the time we were done and we literally closed the place down.

Apple Strudel

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment