Monday, April 23, 2018

Attempting Sensibility


First off, this is what crack looks like...


Compost cookies. They were my downfall last week. I couldn't stop eating them until they were all gone.

I got cleared to run on Thursday April 12th. Well I worked all day Thursday so that was out. Friday the 13th dawned a BEAUTIFUL day. 70+ degrees. It looked like Spring was finally here. I worked out in the yard all day and cleaned out all my flowerbeds and burned a huge pile of brush. It was quite the workout so no running.

Netflix has a documentary series called Chef's Table. On April 13th they released the latest in their series and it featured Christina Tosi. I worship Christina Tosi. She is the brains behind Momofuku Milkbar. If you haven't heard of her you have to go check her out. She's awesome! She is the creator of the German chocolate cake I hope to make someday...

My Dream Cake!

Anyhoos... I watched the documentary and got all inspired... and I just happen to own her cookbook. So we all know where this is going!

Saturday I was too sore to move, no less run - like my hamstrings were burning from bending over in the yard all day. I made cookies instead. Christina Tosi's Compost Cookies. Cookies with potato chips, pretzels, chocolate chips, ground coffee, butterscotch chips and graham cracker crumbs. They are unbelievably addicting.

I haven't baked in so so long and I missed it so so much! But now I remembered why I had stayed away from baking. I pretty much ate cookies until I was sick. No kidding. It was pathetic. I gorged on them. And, the cookies were a bit flatter and crisper than I wanted. I was stuffing my face with cookies and reworking the recipe in my head at the same time... how to make it better next time.

Sunday was spent visiting my in-laws. I forgot to bring my leftover cookies to the gathering so I ended up eating them again when I got home. Oh, someone STOP me!

Monday morning I crawled out of bed and onto the couch to watch the Boston Marathon. It was raining in Indiana and pouring in Boston. Sarah Sellers who finished second was quoted as saying it was like running in a hurricane the last 5 miles. The race was incredible. The finish was unforgettable. I cried watching Des Linden run the last four miles by herself to win the race. I'm glad I watched it by myself because, really, I sat on the couch with tears streaming down my face, taking in the moment and watching her finish.

Then I made another batch of cookie dough and put it in the refrigerator to chill overnight.

Monday evening I ran for 10 minutes on the treadmill... because it was snowing... on April 16th. Nothing hurt. I felt good. I kept cranking up the speed and ended up averaging 9:23 pace. Then I did all my PT exercises and stretches for the next 40 minutes.

Tuesday I went to the fitness center and ran 3 miles. A mile on the indoor track, a mile at 8:57 pace on the treadmill, then another mile on the indoor track. Did all my PT exercises. Baked the cookies and dropped most of them off to my daughter and her friends at IU, then went to work for the evening.

Wednesday I ran 6 miles on the Monon. I didn't know how it was going to go but when I reached 75th Street I felt good so I crossed the street and kept going all the way to Broadripple for a full 6 mile loop. Did my PT exercises. Then I ate more cookies when I got home.

Thursday I ran another 6 miles on the Monon and faithfully did my PT exercises... and thought about my next race.

I'm registered for the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon on May 5th. This was suppose to be the year I actually ran this race for time. In 2015 it was the weekend after the Derby Marathon and my legs were toast. I didn't bother to run it in 2016 because it was the weekend after the Big Sur Marathon, which I ran 6 days after the Boston Marathon, and I knew my legs would be toast. Last year I plain didn't feel like running until a couple weeks before the race and hadn't run over 10 miles all year so I ran it to see what I could do... and almost PR'd... which got me all inspired again and prompted me to sign up for a bunch of races. It's a viscous cycle, isn't it!!

So, here I am again training for the Mini after not running for the first 15 days of April and not sure if my legs are going to cooperate. But I felt good. So maybe I'll do a 10 miler this weekend... and perhaps I can try for another marathon yet this spring...

Looking at the Runner's World race calendar late into the night I found the Bayshore Marathon in Traverse City, MI on May 26th. I was off work that weekend. 6 weeks. It looked doable. The idea of another BQ attempt started taking root. I resolved to eat better and ordered Jackie's book...


Friday was another beautiful day but the day got away from me.

My other passion lately has been sewing. I've been sewing up a storm. It all started with another fall down the Pinterest rabbit hole. I discovered faux chenille quilts and I HAD to make one, so I made one as a baby gift for a friend of mine.


Then my daughter wanted a patchwork quilt... then I got a custom order for another full size faux chenille quilt... then I got a custom order for another blanket to double as a pet hammock... and I was in heaven. TOTAL HEAVEN!!

Something about sewing these things made me want to pop out of bed every morning at 7 am (I KNOW, I must be ill) and run downstairs to my sewing machine. Friday I couldn't stop sewing. Plus I decided my legs needed a day off. Or maybe I just couldn't stop sewing. In any case, no run.

Saturday I dropped G off in Carmel and hurried home so I could get a run in before leaving for work at 12:30 pm. I had time to get 10 miles in so I took off down the county road by my house. I run two rollers in the first mile. I got to the top of the second hill and felt my hamstring give a little pull.

So that was it. I didn't push it. I turned around and jogged back home to do sensible things.

No more marathons this spring. Rehab the leg. Work on my diet. I should really get back in the pool and make friends with my bike.

My life isn't the runaway train that it used to be. Sometimes I miss feeling manic, if that makes any sense... but I like having some peaceful quiet time and having time to methodically work on projects that I love to do with no hard deadlines. For now, it's sewing blankets. I also have an accent wall I want to paint and photos to scrapbook. I reactivated my Etsy shop today.

I'm walking away from a BQ attempt this spring as that's the sensible thing to do.




1 comment:

  1. I'm proud of you for taking the time to get your leg back in the game. You should do Bayshore one of these years. It's on my list of races to go back to. Man, you NEVER sit still!

    ReplyDelete