Monday, May 1, 2017

Training Log 4/23/17 - 4/29/17 - Mini Decisions



This was the week I'd decide on what kind of shape I was in for the half marathon on May 6th. I needed to be realistic and once I figured it out, I was fine with it.

Sunday 4/23 - Rest

Monday 4/24 - 5 miles. Easy on the county road. I considered doing 10 but after one loop I decided I didn't need 10 today since I was planning to do 10 on Thursday.

Tuesday 4/24 - Rest. Worked the night shift Monday night so I slept all day, then went back for another night shift.

Wednesday 4/25 - 4 miles. Good run on the hamster track. I tried not to sleep in too long this morning after my night shift so I could get my sleep right again but didn't have the energy to leave the house until 7 pm. Once I started running, it was one of those runs where I felt like I could run all night but I cut it short as I knew I'd be running hard the next morning.

Thursday 4/26 - 10 miles. Met Margo at 9 am to do our last hard run before the Mini Marathon and to find out what kind of shape we were really in. Plan was 2 mile warm up, 3 miles at race pace, 1 mile recovery, 3 more miles at race pace, then 1 mile cool down. So, first interval went fine. Ran 8:30, 8:30, and 8:25. It was all manageable but I was asking myself if I could really do this for 13 miles, plus the pace needed to be a hair faster (8:23 for sub-1:50). After the first set Margo decided she wasn't doing the second one so I was on my own. Ran 8:35, then 8:38. I had to really work for that 8:38 and that settled it. I decided I wasn't in shape to go for a sub-1:50 half marathon next weekend. We are both definitely in sub-2:00 shape but not sub-1:50 shape. I ended up doing a 2 mile cool down and was at peace with the fact that I wasn't going to go sub-1:50.

Friday 4/27 - 5 miles. I'm really proud of myself that I even ran on Friday night. After working the night shift on Monday and Tuesday night I turned around and got up at 4 am to work the early morning shift. I got home around 4:30pm and planted myself prone on the couch. There was a thunderstorm out so if I was going to run I'd have to go to the hamster track, which closed at 7 pm on Friday nights. I finally peeled myself off the couch to get there in time to get my miles in.

Saturday 4/28. Zero miles. Up at 4 am again for an early morning shift and this time I couldn't get up off the couch once I got home. Again it was thunder storming out. The fitness center closes at 5 pm on Saturdays so I would have had to drive further to the Y to run on the dreadmill and I just couldn't move.

24 miles this week. Considering my schedule, it was a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment