Monday, October 20, 2014

Pink Strong & Fort Vallonia 5K... the Third 48

A glimpse into my week and what I've come away with... it has gone in 48 hour cycles due to a screwy work schedule. I ended up working the night shift (7 pm to 7 am) every other night.

The First 48
Tuesday 8 am. Up and ready for the day.
I should be sleeping in but I can never pre-sleep the first day of an overnight shift. The problem this week will be that I don't have consecutive overnight shifts.

5 mile run mid-morning. Took G to dance class in the evening. Brought her home and went to work.

Wednesday 7:30 am. Home from work and on a conference call for work.
9 am. Call over and I go to sleep.
Noon. I'm up. Today's my day off and I don't want to waste it sleeping!
Took G to dance class in the evening again and ran 7 miles while she was in class.

It was pouring rain and I couldn't get my Garmin to lock onto a satellite so the plan was to run 35 minutes out, then try and get back in less than 35 minutes. Somehow the Garmin found a satellite soon after I started running. Besides for my recent 5K I'd been running slow and easy. The rain let up and I enjoyed the misty evening. Apparently my legs liked it too. I surprised myself and had a really good run.

9 pm. Home from dance. Showers for everyone and in bed by midnight.

48 hours. 37 hours up, 11 hours of sleep. Still feeling pretty good.

The Second 48
Thursday 8 am. Woke up because I had friends coming to take a piano off my hands.
Our basement is getting new flooring next week and we have to everything out and off the floor,
including this piano...



My parents made me play the piano through 8th grade. I haven't played since. My mom got a new piano and had my childhood piano delivered to my house. Arghhh.... I finally got her blessing to give it away. It's going to someone who wants to play the piano.

Next, my husband went to Lowe's to pick up all the flooring we will get installed next week. Two pallets of wood laminate. My job was to pick the boxes up from the bed of the pickup and hand them down to my husband and daughter. I decided today was a rest day from running and this was my leg workout - lots of squats!

2 pallets of flooring
 
Spent the rest of the afternoon clearing everything else out of the basement then went to work.
 
Friday 7:30 am. Home from work. It was a busy night. I could barely drive home.
9 am. Got up to shower and pull myself together. G had to be at a photo shoot in Noblesville (an hour away) at 10:45 am. I then realize that I feel like I got run over by a Mack truck. My upper back is sore... from reaching down to hand over all that flooring to my family yesterday.
 
G gets to her photo shoot. I decide to try and sleep in the car while she's getting shot (OK, that doesn't sound good but you know what I mean!) Then my cell phone starts lighting up with texts. Bloomington ED is getting hammered and they are looking for back up. Well, this chickie is over 2 hours away going on 1.5 hours of sleep so I guess it won't be me.
 
photo by Lydia Moody
 
 
Photo shoot is finally over... and it's back to Lowe's. They didn't give us all the materials we needed for the floor install so I had to go back and get more stuff. Luckily they already had it all sitting in a cart for me so all I had to do was put it in the back of my SUV and go home.
 
3 pm. Yeah, I feel like a total zombie. Tired but too tired to fall asleep. Run? Oh yeah, I haven't run today either. Maybe in the evening...
5 pm. Time to take J to cheer. Last Varsity home football game is tonight.
7:30 pm. Game time and no, I'm not going to get a run in today.
10:30 pm. Game is over and everybody is starving. We go out to eat and finally get back home at midnight
1:00 am. Bedtime.
7:30 am. Time to get up so J can go cheer at the JV football game.
 
48 hours. 40 hours up, 8 hours of sleep. Feeling "meh."
 
The Third 48
Spent the entire morning at the JV football game. It was an away game and had possibly the worst officiating I have ever seen. At half-time the referee threatened to flag the parents for unsportsmanlike conduct which would result in our coach getting ejected from the game. 'Nuf said!
 
J made it through another football season without breaking anything or getting dropped on her head.
 
It was cold!
 
We got back home around noon. I attempted to rest...
 
3 pm. Left to drive down to Columbus for the Pink Strong 5K. The 5K was a fundraiser for the Mammography Assistance Program as well as one local family. Crossroads runners were also challenged to raise $300. Our fearless race director Jeff Niewedde agreed to don a tutu if we did that.
 
Race time was 5 pm. I had to be at work in Martinsville at 7 pm so here was the plan...
25 minutes to run the 5K
5 minutes to stretch and get back to the car
60 minutes to drive home to Greenwood
10 minutes to shower and get dressed
20 minutes to drive to Martinsville
 
We got Jeff in a tutu...
photo by Barb Leffler
 
It was raining again so I went outside to warm up and get my Garmin to find a satellite. It's been taking it  forever to find a satellite lately. Then it was 5:00, then 5:05... we went inside for announcements then everyone grabbed a pink balloon and went outside...5:10...5:15...
 
The starting horn finally sounded at 5:17. By then I realized it was too late for me to run the race. There was no way I was going to finish and be in my car, on the road, by 5:30 so I watched everyone start and drove home.
 
So, Pink Strong 5K Race Summary - didn't run the race.
 
My husband claims that I live my life on such a tight schedule that it's unbearably stressful. We have come to a compromise - if it doesn't involve him, I can do what I like. Most of the time I can leave him out of the frenzy. The 5K on Saturday was my event, no other family members involved. I didn't run but I was OK with that. In the end, it was a fundraiser for a good cause and that's how I chose to spend my time.
 
Sunday would be a different matter. I wanted to run a race in Vallonia, one and a half hours away, at 1 pm. G was suppose to be at Nutcracker rehearsal in Carmel from 2 - 3:30 pm. My husband reluctantly agreed to take G to rehearsal so I could run.
 
I got to work on time Saturday night. By 4 am Sunday morning I was a train wreck. I was so tired I was having myoclonic jerks while still awake. The minutes could not go by fast enough to 7 am.
 
7:30 am. Home. I would have to be on the road again by 10:30 am if I was going to do the Fort Vallonia 5K (I always get to the race an hour early so I can register and warm up.) I decided this was not going to happen. I told my husband he was off the hook for Nutcracker and passed out.
 
So, Fort Vallonia 5K Race Summary - never even made it to the race.
 
Slept 4.5 hours and got up at noon feeling like I might live. Took G to rehearsal and started feeling better. My husband got to go deer hunting instead. He was happy.
 
Got a 5 mile run in at 6:30 pm. This was probably much better for me today than trying to race on 2-3 hours of sleep. I ran nice and easy, crunching leaves and side stepping walnuts until it was too dark to see my footing.
 
Planning to be in bed by 1:00 am tonight. Flooring people will be here in the morning.
 
48 hours. 37.5 hours up, 10.5 hours of sleep. Happy to have survived and lived this week!
 
My Takeaways...
This will not be the last week I ever have that will be like this. I should have run on Thursday while I was still feeling OK rather try to run on Friday after my night shift, even though Friday was technically my day off work. Next time I'm feeling good on a non-run day I'm going to run as I'll probably have a run day that may not happen.
 
Things happen. Be flexible. There was no gain to be had being upset over not running on Saturday. Some things are more important than the speed work you had planned to get in.
 
Kids will be kids for only a short time. I really didn't want to take G to a last minute photo shoot on almost no sleep but I'm glad she went and her photos are beautiful.
 
I should spend more time listening to my body than my competitive spirit. I really enjoyed my run this evening. I'm certain my legs would have felt like concrete if I had tried to race this morning.
 
I should go to sleep now...
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment