Monday, October 6, 2014

Oktoberfest 5K

Just don't do any thing stupid... This could be really ugly...

Those were my thoughts. I had 4 runs last week. 3 miles a day. 12 miles total. Then I decided to race again. Let's just call it a time trial. I wanted to see how much ground I'd lost in my month off, plus, I just wanted to race again. I got my in-laws to take J to cheer and off to Seymour I went at o'dark thirty to plunk down $20 and get a race bib.


It was cold. Low 40's. I actually ran in tights and made sure I did a warm up run and stretch. Nothing stupid. I was really worried this was going to be ugly...

Mile 1 - 7:45 
...not too bad. I calmed down. It was actually a bit faster than I thought I'd go. I could relax now.
Mile 2 - 8:15
...still OK. Better than I thought I'd do and I still wasn't sucking air too bad.
Mile 3 - 8:20
last 0.1 - 1:20
...basically cruised in and didn't even attempt to kick. I ran as fast as I wanted to and didn't want to risk pulling anything.

Official time - 25:40 (8:15 pace)

So, about a minute slower than 3 months ago and 37 seconds off from 2 months ago before I decided to take the month off but... no burning leg pain and I could sit comfortably in the car all the way home.
Second place women 45-49
My friend Nora Jo won her age group
 
Pretty happy overall. I'm just doing some more base building this week and may try another 5K time trial in 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment