Sunday, October 15, 2023

Rebate Apps - Is It Worth It?

 


How much did I pay for everything in the photo?

This is an exercise I do with myself every now and then - mostly because it's weirdly fun for me but also to make sure I'm not wasting my money...

I've said this lots of times before but I'll say it again. You don't save money by getting deals on things you don't use. I generally don't buy stuff I don't need or use, UNLESS I get paid to take it out of the store or I have fake store money I need to roll as it's use it or lose it at that point.

Admittedly, this was mostly a snack food run, however, there's some real food in there too and free snacks free up real money for real food.

This weekend Ibotta (IB) presented me with two enticing bonus opportunities.
I had a Weekend Warrior Bonus of $5.00 for completing 15 offers between Thursday 10/12/23 and Sunday 10/15/23, and I had an overlapping Spooking Savings Bonus of $5.00 for completing 17 offers between Thursday 10/12/23 and Tuesday 10/17/23. What that meant was that if I completed 17 offers by Sunday I would get both bonuses; $10 total. I thought that might be worth a look. Here's how it panned out.

Thursday 10/12/23

KROGER #1
Crunch Master Avocado Toast 1.49, IB 0.75 back on each
- Crunch Master is included in the Mega Deal this week where you get $2 off each item when you buy 3 participating items. Sale price if you buy it by itself is 3.49.
Finish Ultimate Dish Pods 28 ct 9.99 + tax, IB 6.00
- This is also a Mega sale item.
(3) Classico pasta sauces @ 1.49 each, IB gave back 0.55 on each, plus a 1.00 bonus for buying 3
TOTAL paid: 16.65
IB rebates: 9.40
Received credit for 3 offers as multiples of the same offer on one receipt only count as one offer.

*I should note that with this transaction, as well as many of the other transaction listed, I purchased other items but I am only listing the rebate items I purchased.

KROGER #2
(1) Keebler Sandies 1.49
(4) Keebler E.L. Fudge @ 1.49 each
IB was suppose to give me 1.25 for the Sandies but it also picked up two of the E.L. Fudge too and gave me back 3.75 total.
I got the E. L. Fudge because Swagbucks (SB) was giving back 1.50 on every (2) E. L. Fudge so I got back 3.00 from Swagbucks.
TOTAL paid: 7.45
IB rebates: 3.75
SB rebates: 3.00
Received credit for 1 IB offer.

TARGET
I had an "any receipt" offer on IB for 0.20 so I scanned a Target receipt from the previous day and received credit for another offer. You can scan receipts up to 7 days old on IB.

I have now completed 5 IB offers.

Friday 10/13/23

KROGER
(3) Crunch Master Avocado Toast @ 1.49 each, IB 0.75 x 3
I really like the Crunch Master crackers so I pick them up every time there is a deal on them. I had a Catalina coupon print for $2 off 3 when I purchased the Crunch Master the previous day so I used it on this transaction. I then had another coupon print for $3 off 4 Crunch Master after I paid. IB offers usually reset in 24 hours if they are going to reset. The Crunch Master reset so I was happy. I was really hoping the Finish Ultimate would reset too but it did not.
TOTAL paid after coupon: 2.47
IB rebates: 2.25
Received credit for 1 IB offer.

WALGREENS
(2) Kinder Joy Eggs on sale 2 for $4 + tax
IB gave back 0.50 on each.
SB gave back 4.00 for 2.
TOTAL paid: 4.28
IB rebate: 1.00
SB rebate: 4.00
Received credit for 1 IB offer.

WALMART
(2) Nissin Chow Mein Noodles @ 1.42 each
IB gave back 0.50 when you buy 2.
(2) Nissin Cup Noodles @ 1/12 each
IB gave back 0.50 when you buy 2.
TOTAL paid: 5.08
IB rebate: 1.00
Received credit for 2 IB offers.

MEIJER
(3) Purina Beggin Strips dog treats @ 3.69 each + tax
IB gave back 1.00 on each.
Shopmium app gave back 6.99 when you buy 3.
SB gave back 6.99 when you buy 3.
Good Measure almond butter & blueberry bars 4.99
Shopmium gave back 6.00. I wanted to try these and since I was getting paid to buy it, I bought them!
TOTAL paid: 16.68
IB rebate: 3.00
Shopmium rebate: 12.99
SB rebate: 6.99
Received credit for 1 IB offer.

I am now up to 10 IB offers.

Saturday 10/14/23

KROGER #1
(3) Crunch Master Avocado Toast @ 1.49
(1) Crunch Master Multi-Seed @ 1.49
YUP! The Crunch Master offer rest again and I was back with my $3 off 4 coupon. Unfortunately there were only 3 bags of the Avocado flavor left on the shelf - because if there had been 4, then this transaction would have ended up being free. The Multi-Seed flavor though was giving back 0.50 a bag and I got credit for another offer this way so it worked out. And, another coupon for $3 off 4 Crunch Master printed out.
TOTAL paid after coupon: 2.96
IB rebate: 2.75
Received credit for 2 IB offers.

KROGER #2
(2) Two Good Smoothies @ 1.50 each
IB gave back 1.50 when you buy 2.
Kroger Cash Back (KCB) gave back 1.50 when you buy 2.
(5) Lala Fruit & Crema Desserts @ 1.79 each
IB gave back 1.00 on each
KCB gave back 1.00 on each
TOTAL paid: 11.95
IB rebate: 6.50
KCB: 6.50
Received credit for 2 IB offers.

MEIJER
Stouffers Broccoli Cheddar Pasta Bake  4.99, IB 2.00
(2) Magnum 3ct ice cream bars @ 5.49 each, IB 1.00 each
Fetch gave me 2000 points (2.00) for 2 boxes of the Magnum bars
- I had a Meijer digital coupon for Buy One Get One Free for the Magnum bars
0.10 IB credit for "any frozen meal"
TOTAL paid after coupon: 10.48
IB rebate: 4.10
Fetch rebate: 2.00
Received credit for 3 IB offers.

YAY! Got my 17 offers done so another $10 from IB.

SUMMARY
Total out of pocket: 78.00
IB rebates: 43.95
SB rebates: 13.99
Shopmium rebates: 12.99
Fetch rebate: 2.00
KCB rebate: 6.50
TOTAL AFTER REBATES: -1.43

So there you have it. I GOT PAID $1.43 to take all this out of the store.

If I had ONLY used the Ibotta app, I would have paid $34.05 for all 37 items, or an average of 0.92 an item. There's not a single item in the photo that costs less than a dollar. 

Yes, I ran to Kroger 3 days in a row as well as a bunch of other stores. However, I had other errands to run the last couple days so everything was on my way and all my stores are literally right next to each other on the same strip of road so I didn't run all over town to do this. In other words, it works for me. Plus, I enjoy doing this when I'm in the mood to do this. When I'm not in the mood... well I have plenty of stuff stockpiled so I don't have to leave the house! It's a win - win in my book.

All of these rebate apps have several redemption options, but I stick with cash or cash equivalents.
My Ibotta rebates get cashed out straight into my bank account.
My Swagbucks rebates get cashed out for $25 VISA gift cards and SB gives you a 13% discount once a month, meaning you only need $21.75 for a $25 gift card.
Shopmium goes straight to PayPal which then goes straight into my bank account.
Fetch gets cashed out for Kroger or Target gift cards.
Kroger Cash Back gets cashed out to PayPal which then goes straight into my bank account.

ALWAYS cash out as soon as you meet the minimum cash out threshold because it's not really your money until it's REALLY your money.

Hope you enjoyed shopping with me this weekend! 

1 comment: