Sunday, July 30, 2023

2023 Indiana State Fair: Turn In, Round Three

 


Today was Pie Day. All pie entries were due in by 7pm.

I made one pie - French Silk. This is my favorite pie. I can make it with my eyes closed.

Anyone that has competed in subjective competitions for any length of time will tell you, most of the time it will come down to one judge's opinion on a given day. That is what it will come down to on this pie.

Technically, the pie came out perfect. It has an Oreo cookie crust made of crushed Java Chip Oreos. The crust is smooth and even. There's no chance it is soggy or uncooked. It held together just like it's supposed to. The filling is smooth and creamy with no graininess. I know, because when I make cream pies I always set aside a little bit in a small container to sample and make sure it sets up as expected. This one set up perfectly. The whipped cream is stabilized with a whiff of gelatin so it holds up for more than a couple hours. It has just enough sugar to make it sweet, but not too sweet. Now it will all be up to whether a judge likes it or not.

Our family had a lot of things going on this weekend so I have not been able to go to the fairgrounds since the Fair opened on Friday. One of my fellow competitors was gracious enough to take my entry to the Fair for me. I'm hoping to get to the fairgrounds this week and will give a full update on all my entries at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment