Tuesday, February 6, 2018

20/20 Diet: Phase 1

So this is the start of my 20/20 Diet that I spoke of in my last post. I picked it because it was easy and told me what to eat. The diet itself doesn't require you to count any calories but I did it cause I wanted to know. This is what I used for my calculations...

My Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), the number of calories you burn by simply existing, is 1200 calories.
This is calculated by multiplying your ideal body weight (in pounds) by 10. I used 120 lbs as my ideal weight.
You are suppose to add 30%, 40%, or 50% to this depending on your activity level however I did not add this in my daily calculations. I figured they would all be bonus calories burned.

My daily carb needs are 3 g per ideal body weight, so 390 g.
My daily protein needs are 0.6 g per ideal body weight, so 72 g.

Post exercise, the recommended carb to protein ration is 3:1 in the first hour after exercise.
I try to get 20g of protein in so I also need 60 g of carbs.

I give myself a credit of 100 calories per mile run.

The nutritional information came from either the food packaging or calorieking.com.
I drank water, sparkling water, black coffee or green tea with my meals.
The only modification I made to the diet is that I allowed myself a post-run nutrition bar after each workout so I had some hope of meeting that one hour post-exercise carb-protein requirement.

I weighed myself as soon as I got up in the morning on Day 1.
138 lbs. Blahhhh...

Thursday Feb. 1, 2018
Breakfast - Apple Walnut Parfait: 1 diced Fuji apple, 1/4 chopped walnuts, 1 container (5.3 oz) Siggi's Icelandic style (skyr) vanilla yogurt, sprinkle of cinnamon
405 calories, 39 g carbs, 20 g protein, 20 g fat

Apple Walnut Parfait

Once I counted up the calories I thought this was a hefty breakfast. I wasn't wrong. Turns out this would be the highest calorie meal in this Phase.

After breakfast I made roasted chickpeas. One can made three 1/2 cup servings. Basically drained the can, tossed it with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a little minced garlic, then baked them for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I let them cool and put them in little containers.

Next I hardboiled 8 eggs. Cooled and peeled them. Made two servings of egg salad in more containers by stirring together 2 teaspoons of mustard, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and a chopped up hard boiled egg in each container. Saved the rest of the eggs for later.

Since I'm suppose to eat every 4 hours and I had breakfast at 8 am, I had my snack at noon.

Snack - 1 Fuji apple, 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas, 2 rye crisps.
325 calories, 61 g carbs, 8 g protein, 7 g fat

I flip-flopped my lunch and my snack as I wanted more of a meal (calories) before I went running.

Lunch - Sautéed Greens over Baked Cod: 4 oz cod, baked at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Sautéed a cup of kale and a cup of spinach in a bit of olive oil then spooned it over the cod. Topped it all off with 1/4 cup chopped almonds and squeezed a lemon wedge over it all.
330 calories, 16 g carbs, 27 g protein, 20 g fat

Sautéed Greens over Baked Cod 

I actually cooked several cod filets and planned to put them in containers too. Good thing I did. G came home from school and decided she wanted to eat the same thing.

Drove G to Carmel, then ran 8.5 miles.

Post-Run, had a Chocolate Sea Salt RX bar - 210 calories, 24 g carbs, 12 g protein, 9 g fat

Had dinner after I got back home from Carmel.

Dinner - 1 Fuji apple, Egg Salad, 2 rye crisps.
245 calories, 43 g carbs, 8 g protein, 5 g fat

...and G decided to eat the other egg salad I had prepared.

So, totals for Day 1: 1515 calories consumed, 183 g carbs, 75 g protein and 61 g of fat.
I expended 2050 calories for a deficit of 535 calories.
I didn't come close to the amount of carbs I was suppose to consume but hit my number on protein.
Didn't get enough carbs or protein post-run either.
Overall didn't feel too bad though.

Friday Feb. 2, 2018
Breakfast - Apple Walnut Parfait.

Went for my run after that and ran 10 miles.

Post-Run, had a Peanut Butter Muscle Milk Bar - 190 calories, 22 g carbs, 15 g protein, 6 g fat
Also had my snack - 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas and 2 rye crisps.
This combo gave me a total of 420 calories, 60 g of carbs, 23 g protein, and 13 g of fat so I hit my post-run carb and protein numbers.

Lunch - 1 Fuji apple, Egg salad, 2 rye crisps.

At this point I decided I had eaten more apples in the last two days than I had in the last 6 months!

Dinner - Sautéed Greens over Baked Cod.

Totals for Day 2: 1400 calories consumed, 158 g carbs, 78 g protein, 58 g fat.
I expended 2200 calories for a deficit of 800 calories.
Again, low on the carbs but hit the protein.

Still not feeling too bad.

Saturday Feb. 3, 2018
Breakfast - Spinach Egg Scramble: 1 1/2 cups of spinach sautéed in a bit of olive oil, then scramble it with an egg. Plus another Fuji apple.
185 calories, 26 g carbs, 8 g protein, 5 g fat

I decided to change things up with a different breakfast. Then I tried what was suppose to be an easy 6 mile run. I think my lack of calories at breakfast plus the overall calorie deficit plus the 10 miles I had run the day before caught up with me. I felt like death. I was on the treadmill and had to slow to a walk at times because I was lightheaded. Finally squeaked out 3 miles total... at an average pace of 11:26. Blah!!

Post-run I didn't feel hungry and literally had to choke down my food, which included my snack - Peanut Butter Muscle Milk Bar, 1/2 cup roasted chickpeas, 2 rye crisps.

Lunch - 1 Fuji apple, Egg Salad, 1 rye crisp.

Dinner - I had to work the IU-MSU basketball game in Bloomington in the evening so I packed my dinner.
Cod Salad - Flake a 4 oz baked cod filet and mix with 2 teaspoons of mustard (it's a darn good thing I like mustard!) and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Toss with 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach and 2 tablespoons chopped almonds. Plus I had ANOTHER Fuji apple and 3 rye crisps.
400 calories, 58 g carbs, 26 g protein, 8 g fat

Cod Salad

I ate my dinner in the car then picked up J from her dorm to take to the game. She hadn't eaten so I bought her food at the game. Papa John's pizza. I wasn't hungry but the smell of garlicky dough made me want to eat just to taste the food.

By the time I started home, I was freaking HUNGRY! Luckily I was too tired to do anything about it. Got home at midnight and flopped into bed.

Totals for Day 3: 1210 calories consumed, 178 g carbs, 64 g protein, 31 g fat
I expended 1500 calories for a deficit of 290 calories.

I've pretty much decided I'm not going to hit my carb number on this diet. That was my whole issue about dieting while training. I didn't think I'd get enough carbs to fuel my workouts. My priority now is weight loss though so I guess my workouts may suffer a bit.

I was pretty much wiped out today.

Sunday Feb. 4, 2018
Today was my rest day from running. Knowing I wouldn't have the extra calorie expenditure I made a conscious effort to curb my calories. Ate a "big" breakfast though because I was so wiped out on Saturday. I also slept in and didn't have breakfast til 9:30 am so I ended up only eating three times.

Breakfast - Apple Walnut Parfait.

Lunch - Cod Salad with 1 rye crisp.

G had a matinee show she was dancing and I was volunteering so I ate my lunch in the car before the show. Then, I had to prep the snacks that were being served during the show. I had to pass on some absolutely lovely black and white cookies that one of the businesses had made for the show. Luckily I wasn't hungry, but normally I would have helped myself to a cookie...or two... for the taste.

Drove home after the show and had dinner.

Dinner - Cod Salad with 2 rye crisps.

I brushed my teeth after dinner so I wouldn't eat anything else.

Totals for Day 4: 895 calories consumed, 81 g carbs, 68 g protein, 36 g fat
I expended 1200 calories for a deficit of 305 calories.

Admittedly, I was hungry at times today.

Monday Feb 5, 2018
So... my health nut 900 year old daughter decided she liked all the food I was eating on my new diet so she's been eating all the same food and I did not buy enough. I ran out of apples this morning. Between the two of us we have gone through over 6 lbs of apples in the last 4 days.

Breakfast - Spinach Egg Scramble

I decided I definitely was not going to go running until I had eaten more so I went grocery shopping instead. Picked up more apples, spinach, Icelandic yogurt, rye crisps and food for Phase 2 that starts tomorrow. I was starving by the time I got home.

Lunch - Sautéed Greens over Baked Cod.

Snack - Apple Walnut Parfait. I ate a big snack because still I was terrified I might crash again on the treadmill like I did on Saturday.

Took G to Carmel then hit the Y for my workout. Got 6 miles in without a problem. Admittedly, I was WAY exhausted afterwards and spent some time lying on the locker room floor.

Post-Run - Peanut Butter Muscle Milk Bar.

I had packed my dinner to take with me to Carmel but I didn't feel like eating much after running and then forgot about it. Driving home though, I realized I was starving.

Dinner - Cod Salad with 2 rye crisps.

Totals for Day 4: 1275 calories consumed, 107 g carbs, 95 g protein, 61 g fat
I expended 1800 calories for a deficit of 525 calories.

I was hungry at times today but, more than anything, was totally wiped out by the time I got home from Carmel and passed out on the couch as soon as I was done eating.

Tuesday Feb 6, 2018
This morning was the moment of truth. I weighed myself as soon as I got up, just like I had done on Day 1.

134 lbs.
NO WAY!! No freakin' way I lost 4 lbs in 5 days... unless it was mostly water.

I weighed myself again after breakfast. 134.2 lbs. Hmmm. Scale must be right but I'm still wondering how much of that is water.

Looking at what I ate every day and the corresponding calorie counts, I can honestly say I had been consuming at least 3000 calories (or more) a day lately. Runner's World recently had an article called "The Common Eating Habit That's Secretly Doubling Your Calories." It's an eye-opener. You can read it HERE.

Today starts Phase 2. Another 5 days and I get to eat different food. We'll have to see if the weight stays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment