Sunday, September 17, 2017

Mill Race Training Week 16 - The Week Before The Week Of


In 2014 I ran my 5K PR in my last road race before my BQ attempt at the Derby Festival Marathon. In 2015 I ran my 10K PR in my last road race before my BQ attempt at the Napa Valley Marathon. I didn't feel close to PR shape this year but figured I might as well run one more road race before the Mill Race Marathon this coming weekend. Saturday I hit the Indiana Timing circuit again and raced.

So here was my week before the week of the Mill Race Marathon...

Sunday 9/10 - Zero miles. A well deserved rest day after the 20 on Saturday... plus I had to go to work.

Monday 9/11 - 6 miles. Easy shake out run on the Monon.

Tuesday 9/12 - 7 miles. Run Club workout. 2 miles warm up and then 400's on the track with a 200 jog in between. Goal was 8-12 400's. I ended up doing 10. Also finally figured out how to use the lap timer on my Garmin (Thanks Trena!)

400 sprint           200 jog
1:48.1                 1:32.8
1:51.1                 1:33.9
1:54.2                 1:35.3
1:52.6                 1:34.8
1:52.3                 1:39.9
1:52.5                 1:42.2
1:49.3                 1:45.1
1:52.4                 1:44.6
1:52.0                 1:48.4
1:54.2

I'm actually amazed at how consistent the 400's were considering I couldn't see the individual lap times. I knew the Garmin was recording the lap times every time I hit the timer but all I could see was the overall running time until I downloaded the data. I basically ran on feel and tried to keep up a hard effort but a sustainable pace. 1.5 mile cool down after the track work to get me 7 miles.

Wednesday 9/13 - Zero miles. Rest day.

Thursday 9/14 - 4 miles. I couldn't decide what to run today. Long run? Pace run? Hit the Monon and thought I'd run pace. This went well for two miles. 8:48, 8:45, then I became aware of how hot and humid it was. 8:55. The weather had changed again and the cool temps were gone. I was actually sweating walking out to the trail and that should have been a tip-off. I struggle-bussed through a cool down mile 4 and decided I was done for the day.

Friday 9/15 - 6 miles. Again, I felt like I should do some kind of long run today but realized even before I started running that I was really really tired. At first I didn't even know if I'd make 6 and thought about turning around at the 3 mile turn around but crossed 75th Street and kept going south. Finally started feeling somewhat better and managed to finish 6 but no more.

Saturday 9/16 - 5 miles. I decided to run the Seeds of Love 5K in Columbus, IN. I figured it would be a good run through for race morning next weekend. So... up at 5 am... and laid in bed til 5:30 am. Ugh, I am SO tired. Finally got up so I could eat my oatmeal and drink my coffee. Out the door at 6:15 am. I was still so seriously sleepy that I considered turning around and driving back home at the Edinburgh exit... but I kept driving. Got to Columbus a little after 7 am so I could register for the race and get a one mile warm up in. Took a glance at the course map which wound through multiple neighborhood streets and figured I'd just follow someone. Happy to see Jane and Magda and Debra there. At least I'd have some gals to run with.

The race started and there were two girls (as in teenagers) that toed the starting line and took off. The first one took off and I never saw her again. In the back of my mind I felt I had a chance of breaking 24:00 but knew I needed a 7:20-7:30 first mile, then to hang on after that, if I were to have a chance.

Mile 1 - 7:28. I could feel myself reeling the girl in front of me in. Passed her before the 2 mile marker and gunned it to the next corner.
Mile 2 - 7:50. Now I was running alone which made it harder. I knew Jane and Debra were behind me somewhere but where were they? It was a twisty course through small neighborhood streets so I kept my head up and made sure I ran every tangent.
Mile 3 - 8:18. I really needed someone to push me. I knew I should run sub-8:00 to get sub 24:00 but I lost my motivation. I could feel myself slowing but I didn't see any shadows or hear any footsteps behind me either so I got a bit complacent. But... where the heck was that 3 mile marker?!! I was starting to really slow down and knew I'd get caught if I didn't hurry up.
Last 0.1 - 0:37. I saw the finish clock read 24:06 as I came down the straight away and knew I didn't get my time, then put my head down and ran through the finish line.

Official time - 24:13.

I walked through the chute and turned around... and found Debra right behind me. Whew! I almost got caught. I didn't know she was so close behind me.


Magda, me and Jane

Overall, it was a pretty solid race and I felt like I had earned my medal this week. Only low point of the day was the UGLY rumor that I heard... the weather next Saturday shows highs in the 90's...

Trying really hard to stay positive and not go into freak out mode this week!

28 miles for Week 16.

1 comment:

  1. Damn those 800s were consistent. Sometimes it helps not to know what the watch says - btw, it displays the lap time for a few seconds when you hit the lap button.

    Congrats on the podium finish! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete