Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Reassessing


There are days I want this dog's life. Don't you?

Today was my "day off." In other words, catch up day. I actually stayed up after the kids went off to school this morning. Started off the day by making cupcakes. Practicing the cupcakes I wanted to make for the Cupcake Bakeoff on Sunday. Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie Cupcakes with Butter Pecan Frosting. Get this... the batter has a cup - yes, 8 oz - of bourbon in it. I think you could get buzzed drinking the batter. It's then filled with a pecan pie filling.

I got the cupcakes done, then blanched about 6 ears of corn to freeze, made the pecan pie filling and put it away to cool, steam mopped my kitchen floor, then got showered and dressed for the day - all before 10 am. I guess you can get a lot of sh*t done if you get up early.

After that, it was out the door with my errands for the day. For some reason Stella the cat has decided she has a vendetta against my older daughter. Last night Stella decided to pee on her bed, clearly on purpose. This caused all kinds of anarchy to ensue and the bed got stripped and cleaned at 10 pm. I got everything clean but the comforter. It won't fit in our washer. I had another comforter I needed to wash that I'd been putting off, so today I had to take both comforters to the laundromat to put in their commercial washer. This took about 2 hours.

Next up, return a baking pan to Michaels cause, well, I already own that pan... then pick up candy melts from JoAnn because they are on sale there - 2/$4 with an additional 20% off today - and more grocery shopping at Meijer.

I had planned on getting home in time to put a loaf of zucchini cheddar chive bread in the oven before the kids got home and start on making my cupcake decorations but I got home too late. By the time I had unloaded the car, put the clean comforters on the beds, and grabbed a bite to eat, the kids were home... and starving. So, I made a VERY early dinner... and then they were asleep by the time it was ready... tough second day of school I guess...

Anyhoos... the day just flew by.

We tried the cupcakes. They were awesome. I tried the filling. It was NOT awesome. I didn't feel like trying to think up decorations... it's a decorated cupcake contest, the theme being "Indiana's Bicentennial." What the heck do you do with THAT?! I dunno... and then I decided I didn't want to do the contest. It was just too much trouble. I like making tasty cupcakes. I'm in no mood to decorate them. The unpalatable filling got pitched and we are eating chocolate bourbon cupcakes.

That decision pretty much freed up my entire evening... as well as all my evenings for the rest of this week. There will be no hurrying home from work to work on Fair stuff. So... it's been a nice evening. Laying around with the dog... Actually re-read some of my Fair blog posts from the last couple years. It was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment