Monday, July 4, 2016

Grocery Challenge Days 23 - 30... Finishing Out the Month



Perhaps it was already knowing that I was going to go over that really busted my budget... or perhaps it was because LIFE just snowballed at the end of the month. In any case, this is how it went.

Day 23
New grocery ad and it ended up this was the week the blueberries went on sale for 0.99/pint at Meijer so I was compelled to stock up.

10 pints of blueberries @ 0.99/pint
2 gallons of milk @ 1.55 each
1 lb of baby carrots  1.25
package of sirloin  4.91

Total spent: $19.16

Next stop was Marsh where seedless watermelons were on sale and I had a coupon for free eggs.

watermelon  1.88
dozen eggs  1.29

Used coupon for free eggs and paid $1.88

That put my running total for the month at $199.36.

Day 24 and 25
No spending

Day 26
My older daughter was leaving for cheer camp this week and needed snacks. I hadn't had time to plan ahead for this and I was busy driving my other daughter to dance rehearsals all week plus working the night shift at work a couple nights so I took her to Meijer and let her get whatever she wanted. Also bought more blueberries.

10 pints of blueberries @ 0.99/pint
banana chips   3.49
apple chips    3.89
2 bags Glutino chocolate covered pretzels @ 3.99 each
large box of oatmeal squares   5.49
box of fruit roll ups  2.19

Used two $1 Glutino coupons

Paid $33.65.

Froze all my blueberries. I'm a happy woman.

Day 27 - 29
Took my younger daughter to dance rehearsal on the 27th and then worked overnight. Got home on the 28th at 7:30 am. Had to drop my older daughter off at the school to go to cheer camp at 8:30 am. Came home and tried to sleep for a couple hours before driving an hour to up to pick my younger daughter up from dance rehearsal at 3 pm. Luckily my younger kid was able to spend the night with another dance friend on the 27th as my husband was out of town and I couldn't take her to dance rehearsal and my other daughter to cheer camp drop off at the same time.

By now my sleep and my eating were all screwed up so by the time I picked up my daughter I was starving... and I was totally fixated on eating a piece of Margherita pizza. Ended up driving thru Luca's on the way home and got a slice for myself and another for my daughter. Paid $9.18

Worked overnight again on the 28th. Luckily my husband came home that afternoon so he took my younger daughter to dance rehearsal on the 29th. However... it was a conspiracy... the phone rang, the dog wouldn't quit barking at the squirrels, the UPS guy came to drop off a package... I never got any sleep! I was just exhausted all day and didn't get anything done. Picked my daughter up from rehearsal in the evening and finally keeled over.

Day 30
I ended up sleeping for 10 hours! Woke up in the morning and actually felt amazing. Took my daughter to rehearsal and had a whole list of things to do around the house. Unfortunately, meal planning was not on the agenda. I ran through Kroger because we were completely out of dog food then picked up whatever looked good for lunch...

16 lb bag dog food  7.99
container of salad   2.50
sushi   7.49
fresh sourdough bread (heck, it was still warm!)  2.50

Paid $21.56

So, total spending for the month was $263.75. Didn't make the $200 goal and decided not to bother with the 2 extra days as I was over budget anyway. I think if I had done a little better meal planning at the end of the month it might have been a bit closer but I may have gone over anyway. Probably what killed it were the couple grocery trips where I didn't have a list and let the kids as well as myself buy whatever.

Looking ahead, I decided conclusively on June 30th to enter the Indiana State Fair - entries were due in by July 1st. That means I'm spending this month trying out recipes and finishing projects so I won't be tracking my grocery spending as it will be all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment