Monday, August 24, 2015

Running Update


The last time I posted about my running was on July 12th with my Week 1 Monumental Training Update. So what's been happening on the running front since then? Nothing.

Fair season started for me on July 16th. I didn't participate in a County Fair last year for the first time in 26 years because I was too overwhelmed. For the past three years, I have spent my summers trying to train for a fall marathon as well as compete in the fair and I found that it's just too difficult to do both well.

In 2013, I was running injured. Looking back, it was an awful summer. I remember my legs hurting so much I was literally hanging onto the shopping carts at the grocery store, using them as walkers. I entered the fair that year out of habit. I got my usual handful of ribbons but I don't think my heart was really in it.

Last year, again, I was injured over the summer. I finally gave up on the marathon training but continued to run so I could compete in my race series. I didn't do the County Fair and brought a limited number of items to the State Fair but did surprisingly well.

This year I decided I missed the Fair and committed to being "ALL IN." However, in order to fully concentrate on the fair, I gave up trying to run. Even trying to exercise for 30 minutes in a day becomes too much when you are only sleeping 2-3 hours a night. Something had to give.

I think qualifying for Boston earlier this year gave me peace with my running. I achieved the one goal I had been chasing for so long. In doing so, I had sacrificed a lot - time with my family, time doing other things I liked, time for my body when it needed to recover. I think something in me just shut off after I qualified. I didn't want to race anymore. I didn't want to hurt anymore. I just wanted to enjoy myself...

So that's what has happened. I've done the things I wanted and needed to do. Eaten the things I've wanted to eat. Caught up on the nitty gritty details of life. I've seen my internist, dentist, gynecologist, ophthalmologist, taken both kids to the dentist and pediatrician, and taken all the pets to the veterinarian. I found someone to help me take G to her dance classes - which ironically, in the past, I was too busy to look for help! It's surprising how much time trying to run well can take up in your life.

Fair season officially ended today. I went and picked up all my ribbons this afternoon. Going "all in" and committing to just one thing led to a very satisfying and successful year. I don't regret it.

State Fair Ribbons

 County Fair Ribbons
 
More County Fair Ribbons

Looking forward, I returned to the road today and ran 3 miles. First run in 40 days. The first half mile was horrible. I found my rhythm after that and felt really good by the end. Really good. I'm ready to run again, but in moderation. I'm not running Monumental. In fact, I'm not sure if I'll be racing at all for the rest of the year. I'm running for fun... for now.

Hopefully I will get a spot in Boston 2016 when registration opens next month. If I get a spot, I'll be throwing my name in the Boston to Big Sur lottery in October. I still have goals. I still want accountability. However, I'm looking for moderation. Peace. Stop chasing all the time... or maybe at least for a couple months.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment