Thursday, October 10, 2013

Dutch Apple Pie

I have an overabundance of apples in my house right now. I was in the fall mood the other day and bought some Granny Smiths to make a pie. Then my in-laws gave me some of their apples... then my neighbor gave me some of his apples... and now my kitchen is over-run with apples! Plus, since I am working tonight and my husband is out of town, I figured I should have supper ready for them before I leave. Supper is my younger daughter's favorite venison stew. Dessert will be Dutch Apple Pie. This is the same pie that took second place at the State Fair. This is a super easy pie. So here it is...

DUTCH APPLE PIE
 
crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk
 
filling
7 cups sliced apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
 
topping
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
 
First, move your oven rack down to it's lowest setting and preheat to 425 degrees.
 
Prep your pie pan. I always use a foil pan because that's what I compete with. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a fork. This keeps the bottom crust from getting soggy.
 
 
Next, mix all your crust ingredients in a bowl, then dump it into the pie pan.
 
 
Use your hands and pat the dough into the pie pan. Put it in the freezer to firm up a bit after that.
 
Next, mix all your filling ingredients in a large bowl. I usually use Granny Smith apples but you can use a variety if you like.
 
 
 Use your hands. Make sure all your apple slices get coated, then layer the slices into your pie crust.
 
 
Now mix all your crust ingredients in a bowl. It will be crumbly.
 
 
Use your hands again and crumble it evenly over the top of your pie. Make sure you have plenty of topping at the edges of the pie as this will keep it from bubbling over.
 
 
Now put the whole thing in a paper bag and staple it shut. The bag will help set the top crust and keep it from burning.
 
 
Then, look at the oven and curse really loud if you've accidentally preheated the wrong oven like I did!
 
 
I have a double oven. The top oven is too short to bake this pie in. So.... preheat the bottom oven and spend that time cleaning up all the crap that you didn't realize was spattered all over your oven controls until you took a photo of it.
 
 
Now that the correct oven is heated, place the paper bag in your oven. Make sure the bag does not touch any of the sides of heating element. This is important. You bag will catch on fire if it does. Trust me. It happened to a girl I work with. She took pictures...
 
Bag properly placed in oven
 
Now shut the door, set your timer for an hour, and go run 5 miles.
 
Just kidding! Do something for an hour. I went and got my 5 mile run in while this was baking. I got back with time left on the timer and my house was not in flames. Yeah!
 
Take your bag out of the oven and cut it open. Remove your pie and put it on a rack to cool.
 

 
So, supper's all ready and now I'm going to try and relax a bit before I go into work tonight.
 
What's your favorite kind of pie?
 
Ever set anything on fire inside your oven? I set a "to-go" container on fire once. It was an aluminum container with a cardboard top and the top caught on fire.


1 comment:

  1. OH MY GOODNESS! I can't believe you left your house WITH the oven on and a paper bag in it (granted with a fabulous pie in it!) and went for a run. Matt (the firefighter hubby!) would have had a FIT! Seriously I think he would have not talked to me for days (mmmm....that's a thought....kidding!) I am so clumsy and unlucky there is NO WAY I could leave the house with that pie in my oven. What have I got on fire? Question should be: what haven't I caught on fire? ;) But I have set/caught on fire: my hair, my eye brows (long story) my clothes, dish towels (too many to count) a whole toaster, Katie once caught a potato pancake on fire! Have a great day & great weekend!

    ReplyDelete