Saturday, June 29, 2013

Firecracker 5K

The weather was great this morning! Me... not so much. My legs have been killing me all week and I just feel exhausted. I was just not very engaged with the race at all this morning. It's like my body showed up but my brain did not. All I know is that I just wanted the race to be over the minute I started running.

First off, my watch "malfunctioned" again. I was positive it was locked on to a satellite and I hit "start" when the gun went off but about half a mile into the run I noticed it was not timing my run. ARGHH... I had no idea how fast I was going.

I've been running races that are part of the Crossroads of Indiana Racing Series. You get points for placing in their races and, at the end of the year, they give awards to the point leaders. The two fastest women in my age group showed up today. From past races, I knew that one of them ran around 7 minute pace and the other ran about 7:30 pace so I let them go and kept runner #2 in sight. When I got to the mile mark, I restarted my watch but I was dying by then. I got passed by a million people and just didn't care. I ended up fourth in my age group. I missed third by less than 2 seconds.

Official time - 25:26.5
Average pace - 8:11

I did some backwards math and figured out my splits. They were all over the place!
Mile 1 - 7:39
Mile 2 - 8:41
Mile 3 - 8:13
Last 0.1 - 0:53.5

I guess I need to start wearing my watch more to do some pace work. Today I didn't look at my watch once I restarted it because I just didn't care anymore and just wanted the race to be over. I felt like I was running 10 minute miles and had no idea I actually ran an OK time until I crossed the finish line and saw that the first two numbers were "25."

I get to start a new week tomorrow with a "rest" day. Work but no running.

1 comment:

  1. oh bummer. I can imagine how once you are not mentally into the race it is really difficult to get back into it. I couldn't get my butt out there yesterday morning. I waited so long that I felt "rushed" to run because we had lunch plans with Grandma. Now my left shoulder is killing me....it's always something! :)

    ReplyDelete